• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Better-than-Ever Cheesy Meat Lasagna

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM
  • 5 Replies

Better-than-Ever Cheesy Meat Lasagna

Better-than-Ever Cheesy Meat Lasagna recipe

What You Need

3/4 lb. extra-lean ground beef
3 cloves  garlic, minced
1-1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1 jar  (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce
1 large tomato, chopped
  egg
1 container (16 oz.) BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN 2% Milkfat Low Fat Cottage Cheese
1/4 cup  KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese
lasagna noodles, cooked
1 pkg.  (7 oz.) KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided

Make It

HEAT oven to 375°F.

BROWN meat with garlic and oregano in large saucepan. Stir in spaghetti sauce; simmer 5 min., stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in tomatoes. Mix egg, cottage cheese and Parmesan.

SPREAD 1/2 cup meat sauce onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish; top with layers of 3 noodles, half the cottage cheese mixture, 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1 cup sauce. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles and sauce; cover.

BAKE 30 min. or until heated through. Top with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, 5 min. or until melted. Let stand 5 min. before serving.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

VARIATION
Substitute 2 pouches (2 cups) frozen BOCA Ground Crumbles for the browned ground beef. Add to spaghetti sauce in saucepan along with the garlic and oregano; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. Continue as directed.
MAKEOVER - HOW WE DID IT
We've made over a traditional lasagna that results in a savings of 120 calories and 10 grams of fat, including 6.5 grams of saturated fat, per serving. We replaced the sausage with extra-lean ground beef and decreased the amount, used cottage cheese in place of ricotta cheese, decreased the Parmesan and used KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Mozzarella Cheese.
MAKE AHEAD
Assemble lasagna as directed. Refrigerate up to 24 hours. When ready to serve, bake, covered, at 375°F for 40 min. or until heated through.
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
periwinkle163
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:12 PM

My recipe is similar except I use ricotta instead of cottage cheese.

KamsOne
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:50 PM
I prefer ricotta also. Not as healthy I guess but so yummy.

Quoting periwinkle163:

My recipe is similar except I use ricotta instead of cottage cheese.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jun. 6, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I could be made with part-skim ricotta for a lot more flavor. Cottage cheese in lasagna? I don't think so.

Serenity75
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I love trying new lasagna recipes.  I think I might make this one tomorrow, thanks!

Serenity75
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 1:05 PM

I made other pasta dishes that called for cottage cheese and they were delicious!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)