• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Most Bizarre Pizza Toppings

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM
  • 11 Replies

Article from:  http://www.sodahead.com/

These days, it seems that no matter where you are there is a new pizza shop opening up on every corner, serving up pies hot and fast. Yet with pizza being as readily available as it is, it's a cause for celebration when you find a restaurant that is doing something extraordinary with its pies. One sure fire way for pizza chefs to distinguish their creations is to delight customers' taste buds with out-of-the-box topping combinations.

For the purposes of this list, we chose to focus on pizzas with savory toppings only, leaving dessert pizzas out (we're not saying sweet pizzas don't deserve their due, but they're a different breed of animal). We also eliminated the toppings that may be outrageous, but have made the rounds already (we're talking BBQ chicken, Hawaiian, and breakfast pizzas here).

The pies included in this roundup have toppings that either lend a cultural fusion of flavors (crab rangoon or palak paneer) or add a unique sense of whimsy to the pizza-eating experience (corndog or cashew and cream cheese).

It has certainly been said that close to anything can be put on a pizza (anything edible that is; obviously car tires and sheet metal have no business topping a pizza), but some ingredients are simply more bizarre than others. The combinations listed are as outrageous as we could find, but if you know of a zany pie worth noting, please let us know!

Have you tried any different toppings on pizza?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babowes
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:47 PM
yes love dessert pizzas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM
I love california pizza kitchen bc of all the different pizzas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamsOne
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM
Nah, I pretty much stick to the basics. But right now I am on a hawaiian pizza kick. Normally it's just plain old cheese though.
balagan_imma
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM

My kids love canned tuna on their pizza. 

I'm pretty basic, although I love grilled eggplant and onions if we have them.

starlight1968
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM

my mom/sister ordered pizza when they were in England years ago and it came with CORN on it.  Mom said she ate it but my lil sis picked it off LOL.

I just stick to the normal basic stuff.

stinkerbelle28
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM
BBQ chicken pizza! I am also crazy over ham and pineapple and I love dessert pizza! I took DD to Cicis the other day and we had Mac and cheese pizza (after which she screamed how much she LOVES CICI bc he makes the bestest pizza lol).

When I was a kid (like a million years ago) we used to have this place called Mr Ghattis and they had all kinds of weird pizza. The one I remember most is taco pizza. You take a regular pizza crust, top it with a mix of refried beans, salsa and taco seasoning (that's your sauce) cover that with red onions, cheese and olives. Then bake, when it comes out you put shredded lettuce and tomatoes over the whole thing and throw a dollop of sour cream in the middle. I had to duplicate that!

ETA: Alfredo sauce, spinach, mushrooms and cheese (my better version of a frozen pizza), oh and Philly Cheesesteak (Dominos), wasn't that great.

My husband is a pizza addict and so are my kids. I always try to make new things. My brother made seafood pizza, but I am not real sure what he put on it. I could go on and on, so I am stopping, lol.

jbirchard
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:08 AM

i havent tried anything out of the ordinary..dessert pizza, taco pizza, bbq chicken are yummy, but i love me a cheese pizza, lol... godfathers used to do a cheeseburger pizza, with pickles on it, weird..

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Kids do love Cici's pizza, and for being so inexpensive, it's really got a good crust. Lots of kids  birthday parties are held there. I really hate that because I love their apple pie dessert pizza, and their brownies are really hard to resist. lol 

Quoting stinkerbelle28:

BBQ chicken pizza! I am also crazy over ham and pineapple and I love dessert pizza! I took DD to Cicis the other day and we had Mac and cheese pizza (after which she screamed how much she LOVES CICI bc he makes the bestest pizza lol).

When I was a kid (like a million years ago) we used to have this place called Mr Ghattis and they had all kinds of weird pizza. The one I remember most is taco pizza. You take a regular pizza crust, top it with a mix of refried beans, salsa and taco seasoning (that's your sauce) cover that with red onions, cheese and olives. Then bake, when it comes out you put shredded lettuce and tomatoes over the whole thing and throw a dollop of sour cream in the middle. I had to duplicate that!

ETA: Alfredo sauce, spinach, mushrooms and cheese (my better version of a frozen pizza), oh and Philly Cheesesteak (Dominos), wasn't that great.

My husband is a pizza addict and so are my kids. I always try to make new things. My brother made seafood pizza, but I am not real sure what he put on it. I could go on and on, so I am stopping, lol.

OliviaW.
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Not really. Having pineapple on a pizza is strange enough in this family.

KaylaMillar
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:21 AM

i've tried the hawaiian and bbq.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)