Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Stew meat uses besides stew

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM
  • 28 Replies

I never buy stew meat unless I am making stew or chili.  I have some in the freezer that I didn't use this past week.  The kids don't like stew so I am wanting other ideas.  Got any?  Thanks!

by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isaiahsmomma86
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM

lemmie tell ya what not to do with it... lol I had some in the freezer earlier this week that i wanted to use but i didnt want stew... so i was like, i'll marinade it, put it in a skillet and serve it over rice... well, its awfully tough if you dont simmer it slowly, like in stew. so, i dont have any ideas, but dont do that. lol

taKENheart
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 6:57 PM

LOL I was going to simmer it in stew for hours and then thicken it up so the kids could serve it over rice...That was the plans this past week but we never did it. 

Don't do that LOL  that is funny

Quoting isaiahsmomma86:

lemmie tell ya what not to do with it... lol I had some in the freezer earlier this week that i wanted to use but i didnt want stew... so i was like, i'll marinade it, put it in a skillet and serve it over rice... well, its awfully tough if you dont simmer it slowly, like in stew. so, i dont have any ideas, but dont do that. lol

epoh
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 7:20 PM
2 moms liked this
If you pop them in the crockpot with water and taco seasoning, they'll be tender enough to add to beef tacos or fajitas. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taKENheart
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Sounds great for me and DH...kids gotta ruin a great dinner plan LOL

Quoting epoh:

If you pop them in the crockpot with water and taco seasoning, they'll be tender enough to add to beef tacos or fajitas. :)

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2011 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the crockpot idea too....when you get it tender enough, you could serve it over mashed potatoes or noodles.

maybe try putting bbq sauce on it for sandwiches.
I googled this recipe:

Barbecue Beef in the Crockpot
http://www.shaboomskitchen.com/r-winter.html#target_2

1 pound Beef Stew Meat
9 ounces commercial or homemade Barbecue Sauce
4 Kaiser Rolls***

Place beef and barbecue sauce in crockpot; set it on low. Cook on low 8-10 hours or until meat is very tender and falling apart. Transfer meat and sauce to a serving bowl; shred meat finely with two forks. Toast kaiser roll halves lightly; spoon beef mixture over rolls and serve at once.
NOTE: Sometimes I thin my commercial barbecue sauce with a little cider vinegar or chicken broth, depending on the brand and flavor.

***guess you could use your choice of bread...I would probably use hamburger buns myself.

taKENheart
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I'm leaning towards making the kids suffer and live through it <evil laugh>

JMcCarty
by on Nov. 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Turn it into stroganoff. You can cook it low and slow in the crockpot and serve over noodles.

taKENheart
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I love stroganoff...the kids will compare it to HH though <giggles>

Quoting JMcCarty:

Turn it into stroganoff. You can cook it low and slow in the crockpot and serve over noodles.

JMcCarty
by on Nov. 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Lmao, mine does too. Just tell them they changed the way they make it. If you have a box  of HH now, dump it into a bag and leave the empty box on the counter. ;)

Quoting taKENheart:

I love stroganoff...the kids will compare it to HH though

Quoting JMcCarty:

taKENheart
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Good one!!!  I love playing tricks like that.

I had my nephews once and I made potato soup.  The youngest one was asking what it was and I said well do you like potatoes, he said No...I said do you like french fries, he said Yes, so I said it's french fry soup.  He ate it ;)

Quoting JMcCarty:

Lmao, mine does too. Just tell them they changed the way they make it. If you have a box  of HH now, dump it into a bag and leave the empty box on the counter. ;)

Quoting taKENheart:

I love stroganoff...the kids will compare it to HH though

Quoting JMcCarty:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)