Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doing this for christmas gifts!

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:34 PM
  • 8 Replies
So I posted earlier about it and I learned how to make hard candy! It is extremely easy and so good! My whole family raved about it! The secret is Lorann Oils. You can see a whole selection and order molds off of OR you can pick them up at Walmart. They were a little hard to find, but in my store there is a baking section in the middle of the main aisle (super walmart) with all the holiday baking items. They were there in packs of two. I used the recipe on the back of the package which is:

2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1 dram (1 tsp) Lorann Gourmet flavoring
A couple of drops regular food color (it says Lorann food color but they didn't have that)

Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a boil without stirring. When the syrup temperature reaches 260 add the color, do not stir the boiling action will mix in the color. Continue to boil until mixture reaches 300 and remove from heat. When the boiling action stops stir in the flavoring. Pour out onto a buttered cookie sheet.

*This is where it gets tricky, the recipe says score it, but that didn't work for me. You have to let it firm up a little of the places you cut will just fill back in. I found it easiest to cut the big blob of candy into strips and the break it into shards from the strips. Then you just dust the candy with powdered sugar so it doesn't stick together.

As you can see you can make a ton of candy for next to no money! I have tried butter rum and raspberry. Butter rum was by far the best! I got watermelon and orange to try too since my family stole my other two bags that I had, lol. Other suggestions I have seen have been to make lemon flavor and coat it with lemonade powder mix instead of powdered sugar so it would be sour in the outside and sweet in the middle. And for cinnamon candy to make it really hot, use an extra dram of flavoring (so 2 instead of 1) OR to add a couple drops of tabasco. You can also use extracts I stead of the oils but you have to use more of them bc they aren't as strongly flavored. Any recipe I have seen calls for a tbsp, but I would have to experiment with it to get it right I think.

Also with the same ingredients you can make taffy! Here is that recipe:

1 cup sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup water
flavoring, as desired
Melt butter in a saucepan, add sugar, corn syrup, and water, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
Bring to the boiling point and boil without stirring to 160°F or until it forms a hard ball when dropped into cold water.

Pour onto a marble slab or white agate tray which has been slightly moistened by being wiped over with a piece of damp cheesecloth.

Fold edges over into the center before they have time to get hard; by doing this the candy will be kept soft, but in doing it the candy must be disturbed as little as possible in order to avoid "sugaring" (if the candy "sugars" then it cannot be pulled to make taffy).

As soon as candy is cool enough to handle, knead it until it becomes firm, add flavorings, then pull it over a hook until it is white in color. If you don't have a hook, two strong people can be used to pull the taffy.

Stretch the taffy into rolls, snip with an oiled scissors into bars or 1 inch pieces and wrap in waxed paper. Store in airtight container in a cool, dry place after allowing to sit for a few days in a place of low humidity.

****so there are two cheap and cheerful candy recipes to impress your friends and family with that are so easy! :)

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:02 PM

My mom makes hard rock candy almost every year. It's one of my favorite parts of the season!

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Have fun. I made Christmas gifts this year. I really hope everyone likes it.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:04 PM

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM
Well my taffy recipe seems hard, but it's not. I found a video on you tube where they used a buttered plate and pulled with their hands, it was really easy. Hold on...
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:08 PM
Agh it won't let me do it! The title is how to make taffy at home. Its better than the recipe!

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:42 PM

i love homeade candy!

by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 3:14 PM

by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Glad the candies worked out for you.....sounds good....thanks for posting:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)