Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

YOUNG MOM THAT DOESNT LIKE TO COOK

Posted by   + Show Post

ok, so im a single mom of a toddler and a pre-schooler. I work full-time in a very busy Drs office, after picking up my kids from daycare, I get home around 6:30-7pm to feed them, bathe them, homework etc .. the last thing I want to do is cook. Is just me and my two children who dont really eat that much, I dont really like to cook. So I need ideas on easy and fast meals ?? I get home with no idea on what to make .. HELP !

by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
ripemango
by Member on Jan. 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM

one thing i did not see suggested (or maybe I missed it) is grabbing a rotisserie chicken. They make for so many possibilities: pull off the meat and serve with (instant) rice and microwaved brocolli. Put it in tortillas with cheese and bake for quesadillas. Put some in tortillas, wrap like burritos, place them in a pyrex dish, cover them w enchilada sauce and cheese and bake for 30 mins. Mix with pasta, olive oil, lemon, olives and some feta cheese. They make excellent chicken salad, pot pies, etc. These are some of the things we do with a rotisserie.

We always try to get one if the deli has 1. They keep for a couple days in the frig and we freeze the leftover chicken we pull off of it. We also use the carcass and skin to make chicken stock for soups.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Crockpot would be really good! We do tacos, roasts,bbq chickenn you can really do about anything in there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

BARBECUED CHICKEN IN CROCK POT
1 reg. size bottle Kraft BBQ sauce
10 oz. Coke

Chicken (pieces or whole) I use boneless and skinless chicken breasts

Mix BBQ sauce and Coke in crock pot. Add chicken. Cook on low while at work.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Crockpot Chicken/http://nca.varsity.com/recipesdinner.aspx

4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 lg. can Cream of Chicken Soup
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cut fat off of the chicken breasts and place them in the crock pot. Cover with soup and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for approximately 8 hours. The Cream of Chicken Soup makes great gravy for potatoes too.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Chicken Tacos - razzledazzlerecipes.com

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 (8 ounce) jar taco sauce

Place chicken in crockpot with taco sauce; cook on low for 8 hours. When done, stir with a fork to shred chicken and serve in taco shells or soft tortillas with cheese, lettuce and other taco fixings.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 1:53 PM

HAMBURGER VEGETABLE SOUP - cooks.com
2 lbs. hamburger
2 cans tomato soup, add 2 cans of water
2 cans mixed vegetables

Brown 2 pounds of hamburger (drain grease). Add 2 cans of Campbell's tomato soup, then add 2 cans of mixed vegetables. Let simmer 30 to 45 minutes, ready to eat.

rkoloms
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Quoting Kimberly954:

Welcome to the group!! I have a picky toddler so i have to work around that.

Parent who "work around" picky toddlers are part of the reason why half of the children in this country are over weight and under nourished. One third of the people born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.

Kimberly954
by Kim on Jan. 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Before you judge and get all critical, I always serve what we eat, but i will not send a 2 year old to bed hungry so if she tastes dinner and doesnt like it, I will give her something else that i know she does like.

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting Kimberly954:

Welcome to the group!! I have a picky toddler so i have to work around that.

Parent who "work around" picky toddlers are part of the reason why half of the children in this country are over weight and under nourished. One third of the people born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.

xsweetxninax
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR RECEIPES.. !

I PURCHASED A CROCKPOT TODAY AND SEEMS LIKE I WILL BE USING IT A LOTT ( : A LOT OF THE RECEIPES SEEM REALLY EASY AND NUTRITIOUS .. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOU THAT TOOK THE TIME TO SHARE YOUR RECEIPE..

rkoloms
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Quoting xsweetxninax:

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR RECEIPES.. !

I PURCHASED A CROCKPOT TODAY AND SEEMS LIKE I WILL BE USING IT A LOTT ( : A LOT OF THE RECEIPES SEEM REALLY EASY AND NUTRITIOUS .. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOU THAT TOOK THE TIME TO SHARE YOUR RECEIPE..

Here are a couple of my favorite slow cooker meals (easy and healthy); I load the crock at night, and refrigerate. 

Italian Lentil & Squash Stew
1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils, rinse in a mesh strainer
1 small butternut squash (1 1/4 lb.) peeled, seeded and cut in 1" chunks (about 3 cups)
2 cups marinara sauce; home cooked or jarred (be sure the sauce does not have sugar)
8 ounces green beans -- ends trimmed and cut in half (2 cups) (frozen is fine, though I use frozen chopped spinach
1 medium bell pepper -- cored cut in 1" chunks
1 large potato -- peeled and cut in 1" chunks
3/4 cup onion -- chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
Mix lentils and 3 cups water in a 3-quart or larger slow-cooker. In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients except olive oil; place on lentils. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours or until the vegetables and lentils are tender. Stir in the oil if desired. Serve in soup plates or bowls

Vegetable Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings
3 cups peeled butternut or acorn squash cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
2 14-1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15-ounce can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained or 1.5 cups homecookes; any bean will do
1 cup water or vegetable broth
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1/3 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (lots of B vitamins and a nice cheesey flavor)
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg or egg replacer
2 tablespoons milk (plant or animal)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 9-ounce package frozen Italian green beans or frozen cut green beans (I hate green beans, so I use frozen chopped spinach)
Paprika
In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine squash, mushrooms, undrained tomatoes, Great Northern beans, the water, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
For dumplings: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, parsley, bakiing powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and oil. Add to the flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir frozen green beans into stew. Drop the dumpling dough into six mounds on top of the stew. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook for 50 minutes more. (Do not lift lid while dumplings are cooking

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)