Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Trying to feed a family of 5 for less than $75 a week...ugh

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM
  • 38 Replies
3 moms liked this
Ladies need help here. Due to hubby getting a better paying job we lost our fs(please no bashing) Now I'm trying to figure out how I can feed a family of 5 or 6 depending if we have my ss on the weekend on $75 a week or less a week. I shop mainly at super Walmart cause around here they are the cheapest. I don't have a printer do I can print coupons also I need to fit in formula since my ydd has decided to wean herself from bf :( Amy suggestions would be great :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

If you can pump your breastmilk. I pumped for all of mine. Depending on the type of formula you use you can get coupons sent to you from Similac and the other top one (I didn't use it so I have no idea the name). 

Cook with pasta, whole grain or wheat is the best cause it fills you. Potatoes are cheap and can make several different meals. Hams and turkeys have a bunch of meat. I cook big meals and freeze half for later. 

OliviaW.
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Try making your own products too. You can make cleaners, soap and other things and it will not come out of your budget. 

SugarrCane
Went Fall/Winter shopping for myself today! Found a lot of nice tops. :D
Yesterday at 4:28 PM
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Try the 99 cent store.  They have groceries and you make your money go a lot further.  Also, if eating out stick to the dollar menu (ex. El Pollo Loco).  $5 hot and ready pizzas from Little Caesars always makes a good meal.  Lots of canned foods and top ramen.  Oh, and try buying store brand instead of name brand.  That really saves a lot.  Hope this helps.

Serenity75
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I recommend doing all of your own baking and only 3 meals with meat, eat vegetarian the other 4 days.

Kimberly954
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I love super walmart. They do usually have the cheapest items, except steak/beef. Walmart brand formula....i did that for my dd when she decided to stop bfing. I got the similac equivilant. I also like when they mark down meats before expiration! PB&J's with banana or apples for lunch. Whole chickens cooked and shredded to put in pot pie and on salad.

rkoloms
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Nursing strikes are normal; just keep offering her the breast, and no formula!

Here are my favorite tips for saving at the grocery store:

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic. 
¼ cup white vinegar
¾ cup warm tap water
1 tablespoon baking soda
10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids

Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, simple, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some. 

LadyBirdV
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to made different meals with the same ingredients, for me it's because I hate grocery shopping so I try to stretch my ingredients  to every week and a half. I also stare down my recipt and see exactly where I spend the most. For me, it's kid snack type things- so I make my own now and it saves alot. Do you qualify for WIC? I had to stop BFing my DD for medical reasons and they paid for all her formula.

periwinkle163
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I have found it helps to sit down and plan your meals. That way instead of just leftovers you can plan them into your meals. Like spaghetti and meatballs turns into meatball subs. That sort of thing.

3kidz123
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Plan meals

buy sunday paper and use coupons

get on wic if you can

buy stuff at the dollar store and the family dollar

lucasmommy503
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this

do you have an aldi around you. we shop there and i can feed 7 and 5 days outta the month during school feed 10 for under 200 a month. we do a lot of cooking from scratch also tho. during the summer when it is 10 of us in the house i generally spend about 300 a month. when it comes to formula for ds we get 7 cans thru wic a  month and i buy 1 large and 1 small can of the walmart brand a month. the small can is under 8 dollars and the large can is the same price as the smaller ($15) of your major brands. i don't plan many meals in advance. but we do buy frozen fruits and veggies and a few can veggies. i buy hams, whole chickens and things like that that will be able to stretch a few meals during the next couple of days. and the ham dh loves it because he gets sandwiches to take to work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)