Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I *really* need some help from dairy free mamas

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM
  • 22 Replies
With DSs reflux acting up and DDs eczema flaring up I want to try to go dairy free again.

Please give me some recipe ideas! I don't even know what to do for bread making since all my recipes call for dehydrated milk. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

bump

Kimberly954
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

i have been on and off dairy free...i am lactose intolerant but sometimes i just cannot help myself. I eat bread and dont have a problem with that. I eat Natures Own Whitewheat and after just looking at the ingredients I do not see milk in it but I might have missed it if its labeled as something else. As for everything else, in cooking I replace milk with soy milk. The only thing soy milk is not good for is pudding....it never sets up. When I was strict non-dairy I bought vegan butter and rice cheese, mozzarella is good and you cannot tell the difference. To me, dairy is the easiest thing to replace.

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Make Irish Soda bread. It doesn't rise and it's denser.

michellina124
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Do you have a bread machine? if so I have a recipe for bread w/o milk Ill post when Im not mobile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM
That's actually all I use, so that would be great. :)

Quoting michellina124:

Do you have a bread machine? if so I have a recipe for bread w/o milk Ill post when Im not mobile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I mean, we already drink coconut milk, I can switch to yogurt and ice cream made with coconut milk (I have a yogurt machine. I wonder if I could make the yogurt myself. . .), and that really just leaves me with the cheese. I've heard nutritional yeast flakes are a good substitute. . .

Thinking out loud. :)

But I really just want recipes totally void of any cheese, I suppose. *cries* I love cheese.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Can I make it in my bread machine?

Quoting OliviaW.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM
It's the cheese that gets me. I really don't like the fake cheeses.

Quoting Kimberly954:

i have been on and off dairy free...i am lactose intolerant but sometimes i just cannot help myself. I eat bread and dont have a problem with that. I eat Natures Own Whitewheat and after just looking at the ingredients I do not see milk in it but I might have missed it if its labeled as something else. As for everything else, in cooking I replace milk with soy milk. The only thing soy milk is not good for is pudding....it never sets up. When I was strict non-dairy I bought vegan butter and rice cheese, mozzarella is good and you cannot tell the difference. To me, dairy is the easiest thing to replace.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, you just use the setting for the white bread (mine has that one). 

Quoting epoh:

Can I make it in my bread machine?

Quoting OliviaW.:

michellina124
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Standard white bread setting:

Easy French Bread 1.5 lb loaf

1cup + 2Tbsp. water, 1Tbsp. Olive oil, 1tsp. salt, 1-1/4Tbsp. Sugar, 3-1/4cups White Bread Flour, 1-1/4 tsp. Active Dry Yeast.

2 Lb Loaf

1-1/3cup water, 2Tbsp. Olive Oil, 1-1/2tsp. salt, 2Tbsp. Sugar, 4cups White Bread Flour, 1 1/2tsp. Active Dry Yeast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)