Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ask the Expert: Finding Time to Cook When You Have a New Baby, Plus a Cookbook Giveaway!

Posted by   + Show Post

New moms and dads pay a lot of attention to how much and how often their baby is eating. But when you're sleep deprived and juggling the needs of a newborn, making time to plan and cook your own meals (or even grab a snack!) can feel like an impossible task.

Food blogger, cookbook author and mom Debbie Koenig knows all too well what it's like to be a frazzled, hungry new parent. When her son was born, Debbie realized she needed to come up with new strategies and recipes to make it easy to prepare healthy meals for herself and her husband - and eventually for their baby, as he started to eat solid foods. Her ideas were so great, she turned them into a cookbook: Parents Need to Eat, Too.

Do you want to learn how to prep dinner during baby's naptime? How to stock your pantry so you'll always be able to make a fast, delicious and healthy meal? Would you like to know her recipe for the best-ever chocolate chip cookies? (A must for every new mom, in my opinion!)

Debbie will be here all next week to answer your questions about cooking when you have a baby in your arm and hardly any time to spare. But you can start asking questions today!

PLUS every mom who asks a question will be entered to win one of three copies of Parents Need to Eat, Too!

Thank you for joining us, Debbie! 

The Official Rules
To enter the this contest, reply to this post. Click on the 'reply to post' button at the top (or bottom) of that post. When the text box opens, add your reply. Once you've added your reply, click on the "Add Reply' button.

• Posts must be made between Thursday, February16 at 4pm EST and Friday, February 24 at 11:59 pm EST.  
  • This contest will end on Friday, February 24 at 11:59 pm EST. 
  • Three winners will be selected randomly.
  • The winners will be posted on this thread and will be notified via CafeMom PM.
  • Multiple replies are allowed and will increase your chances of winning.
  • Prizes are only available to members who live in the US or Canada (excluding Quebec).
  • Three winners will receive a copy of the cookbook Parents Need to Eat, Too
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Replies (161-170):
boppysmom2007
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM

How can you learn to stockpile and label so you dont forget what expires first ?

Cassondra09
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM
I have a 2 year old and 7 month old and work at a middle school and I'm trying to watch my weight and eat healthier for me and my family what are some great meal ideas that are better for us
DebbieKoenig
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM

HeatherMarie27, I'm a huge fan of WW! Lost 100 lbs about 15 years ago on program. For pasta, go with vegetable-based sauces. A simple tomato sauce can be really filling for very few points! Or toss pasta with roasted vegetables & a few spoonfuls of the pasta cooking water--the starches will help make it saucy. Stay away from butter- and oil-based sauces, and those with lots of cream/cheese/meat.

momma2beJan
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I am a first time mom of a 5 week old baby that is breastfed. I find it hard to find time to make a healthy meal and usually end up making something from a box thats not so healthy. Any advice on how to stock up on healthy foods and make quick healthy meals?

HappyGoLucky3k
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Hi!   My question is how do I take my healthy menu up a notch with flavor and variety while maintaining simplicity?  Thanks for the opportunity to ask this question and for the contest!  :D

MrsWalton83
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM
My biggest challenge right now is quick and very little effort. I have 4 kids, 9, 7, 4, and almost 6 months. I just had foot surgery on friday and my hubby is deployed, so I am in need of very easy meals, that take minimal time up on my feet since my dr strongly discouraged this! I'm gonna be down for about 6 weeks total! I have quite a few crockpot recipes but for 6 weeks of cooking I don't have that many! ;-) any suggestions, aside from the normal slow cooker recipes would be of great help! Thank you so much!
newmomma2011
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 1:26 AM

im a new mom my lil boy will be 1 nxt mth im trying o eat heathy not only so i can teach my son good habbits but so i can loose weight do u have ne suggestions 

VintageWife
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Do you have any rules about having to try food? My 19 mo old eats ANYTHING except olives. My oldest (8.5 yrs) eats pretty good, but the almost 5 yr old has been a pain in the rear the last couple YEARS about not eating most things. He will eat PB&J, porkloin, sweet&sour chicken (from chinese place) and sometimes spaghetti. He will have nothing to do with anything that has cheese or eggs. He can't stand them. I have made a rule that you cannot say you don't like something if you haven't tried it and he must try a bite of EVERYTHING we give him. It's so ridiculous for him to carry on like this especially since he started out such a good eater :(

cmgardner7
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Luckily my son (14 weeks) has become a BIG fan of our colorful kitchen. I have a Maclaren rocker that I put him in and hang his Lamaze octopus (LIFE saving toy, haha) or put him in his bouncy seat and cook dinner (from scratch) every night. I show him all the foods I use and talk to him about everything he's seeing and smelling and sing, etc and he's become quite a big fan. My mom did that with my brothers and I when we were babies and then as we grew up, we loved being in the kitchen watching, then helping, then cooking a lot ourselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnowPrincessDec
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I am due in May with baby # 4. Do you know any easy freezer meals? I am trying to get ready for when I have my c-section. I dont want to have to go the easy way and get hubby to do fast food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN