Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not sure why I bother cooking

Posted by   + Show Post
For my kids. DD used to eat anything and everything. Now she just picks at it. DS has always been somewhat picky. Things he used to eat he refuses now.

This morning I made a beautiful breakfast: tomato and goat cheese omelettes with fresh eggs (just laid yesterday :) ), bacon, grapes, yogurt, and a mini blueberry muffin.

DS ate the yogurt and the muffin. DD ate the bacon and the muffin.

I give up. I thought it was delicious but they do this all the time. It drives me nuts!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Replies (21-30):
opal10161973
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate tomatoes in my omelets, so I wouldn't have eaten that either.  My kids might not too.  They would have likely eaten the rest though.  My sister has really picky eaters for kids and her DH, so I know what you are going through.  That doesn't fly in my house.  If they don't like it, they don't have to eat it, BUT they have to at least TRY it.  I know what they don't like and tend to stay away from it, but it's not too much, really. 

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

sorry

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Ages and stages....

Try making some "fun" things, like stuff with "faces" on them, or providing lots of finger food.  I doubt my kids would've touched goat cheese, and probably still won't (at 19, 25, and almost 29! lol)

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM

^^^^ ....although I'd LURVE to come over for one of those omelets!

epoh
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM
DS actually likes goat cheese!
I added just enough for flavor and creaminess. :)

Quoting AmosFarkle:

Ages and stages....

Try making some "fun" things, like stuff with "faces" on them, or providing lots of finger food.  I doubt my kids would've touched goat cheese, and probably still won't (at 19, 25, and almost 29! lol)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

"If you make me eat this, I will die!" my 5-year-old son, Daniel, wailed when I mixed peas with pasta. The horror! But he's hardly the first kid to claim mortal danger from a pea. Others eat only white food, won't go near meat, or gag at the thought of eating a Tater Tot that's touched the burger. In fact, nearly two thirds of parents describe at least one problem with their child's eating, according to a study inContemporary Pediatrics. Although pickiness is normal and tends to lessen with age, you probably still feel you should do something if your child is living on frozen waffles. Know what you can do? Relax. There are no significant differences in overall nutrient intake between picky eaters and other kids, another study in the same journal found. And most likely, your child's diet seems worse than it is.

-from Parenting

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I Googled around and found some really cute things people do with food for kids.  Try typing in "food art for kids".  Another great suggestion was to make each day a "color" day.  Like, if Monday is red then use apples, cherries, red pepper strips, pimientos, just see what's out there.

I know a lot of people will make faces on toast with p-nut butter, raisins, little carrot pieces, grapes....or maybe grilled cheese cut out like a heart, just great creative things.  Of course you don't want to make it a huge habit, 'cause then they might balk at eating "regular" food.  lol

Also, remember:  you're shooting for a balanced day or even week when they're little.  But it sounds like you're serving very balanced meals, and I guess you'll just have to wait until this stage passes.  Sorry, Mom.  Stinks, doesn't it?

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Quoting epoh:

Quoting AmosFarkle:

Ages and stages....

Hey, yanno what else they might like?  The flavored cream cheese in the little tubs.

epoh
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM
DS would. DD is pickier about her dairy. :)

I need to make some homemade veggie cream cheese again. Yummy!

Quoting AmosFarkle:

Quoting epoh:

Quoting AmosFarkle:

Ages and stages....

Hey, yanno what else they might like?  The flavored cream cheese in the little tubs.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Yeah, it does. :)

DD does well. It's DS who refuses almost every veggie. He's pretty picky about fruit too. :(

Quoting AmosFarkle:

I Googled around and found some really cute things people do with food for kids.  Try typing in "food art for kids".  Another great suggestion was to make each day a "color" day.  Like, if Monday is red then use apples, cherries, red pepper strips, pimientos, just see what's out there.

I know a lot of people will make faces on toast with p-nut butter, raisins, little carrot pieces, grapes....or maybe grilled cheese cut out like a heart, just great creative things.  Of course you don't want to make it a huge habit, 'cause then they might balk at eating "regular" food.  lol

Also, remember:  you're shooting for a balanced day or even week when they're little.  But it sounds like you're serving very balanced meals, and I guess you'll just have to wait until this stage passes.  Sorry, Mom.  Stinks, doesn't it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)