• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

About Paper Plates...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM
  • 24 Replies

I was just wondering when it all started with the paper plate and found this info online.  Do you use paper plates at your house???

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2234902

Invented in the beginning of the 20th century by inventor Martin Keyes, paper plates were first sold in 1904 by the Keyes Fibre Company. Currently, the Keyes Fibre Company is responsible for the well-known Chinet brand of paper goods, including napkins, cups, flatware and, of course, paper plates.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2147289
The first paper plate was made in Shamut, Maine by Martin Keyes on June 24, 1904. According to the Keyes Packaging Group website, these first plates were made out of pulped surplus wood chips and were intended for pie making. Keyes introduced the Chinet and Savaday product lines in the 1930s.

Here's the link to the Keye's site with info:
http://www.keyespackaging.com/history/

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I use them most of the time.  I use the styrofoam kind more than the paper though.

lillucky8
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM
I have some in.the house but we dont use them.often, i tend to use them more in the summer for parties or cookouts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM
I use th when we're having lots of people over
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamsOne
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM
We don't really use them at home but we use them all the time in the summer when we are at the lake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

We usually use them when we are having a lot of people over for like a birthday party or something.

Binkys_Buttons
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
We are currently using them because I'm throwing a guest fit. My sr. Project in college was a set of dishes that I threw on the wheel. They are clay with porcelain inlays. It tools me almost 2 years to complete. Well someone( either hubs or my mom) is putting them in the microwave. So If they are going to treat the good dishes like cheap plates they can just use the cheap plates. In fuming over this one....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM

interesting...

We do use paper plates.

mom2priceboys
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM

We use them sometimes but mostly for snacky stuff that goes in the microwave.

taKENheart
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

We have some but we don't use them very often at all.  If I use it for a sandwich then I dust off the crumbs and reuse it the next day LOL

KamsOne
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh no!  That's awesome that you made your own plates but sucks that someone is trying to ruin them.  :(

Quoting Binkys_Buttons:

We are currently using them because I'm throwing a guest fit. My sr. Project in college was a set of dishes that I threw on the wheel. They are clay with porcelain inlays. It tools me almost 2 years to complete. Well someone( either hubs or my mom) is putting them in the microwave. So If they are going to treat the good dishes like cheap plates they can just use the cheap plates. In fuming over this one....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)