Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Welsh Rarebit

Posted by   + Show Post

After having a big mid-day Sunday dinner, this was a traditional Sunday night supper in the old South, but is also a great dish for lent, kids love it. My boys always called it Welsh Rabbit and would say "where's the rabbit?" Rarebit means meatless.

Welsh Rarebit

3 cups milk
3 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
3 heaping tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 Tablespoons water
1 large egg
1 teaspoon paprika

Combine the milk and cheese in a saucepan over low heat until the cheese is fully melted. Stir constantly so that the milk doesn't scorch. Remove from heat.

In a small bowl, mix the flour, mustard, cayenne pepper, and water. Combine to make a thin paste like a thin cake batter. Add the egg to the paste mixture and mix thoroughly. Ladle some of the hot milk and cheese mixture into the bowl to slowly heat the mixture. Add the contents of the bowl to the milk and cheese mixture in the saucepan.

Heat the rarebit over medium for  to 9 minutes, until it thickens to the consistency of Alfredo sauce. Serve hot over hot toast, and sprinkle top with paprika.

by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Replies (11-16):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I do, too. I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to food and cooking trivia.

Quoting epoh:

I love learning little facts like this. :)

Quoting SweetLuci:

It may be an ironic name coined in the days when the Welsh were notoriously poor: only better-off people could afford butcher's meat, and while in England rabbit was the poor man's meat, in Wales the poor man's meat was cheese. It might also be understood as a slur against the Welsh: if a Welshman went rabbit hunting, this would be his supper. Some recipes have beer, as the Welch also liked beer, and it was cheap.

periwinkle163
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I've never heard of that but it sounds ooey and gooey and delicious!

Haynkysmama
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 1:31 AM
Funny I've heard of this dish, but had no idea what it was....thanks for sharing!
KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Very interesting!  I didn't know "rarebit" meant meatless.  Thanks for all the info!

epoh
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Urg. I so wish we werent dairy free! I might make this anyways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allebas
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM

YUM!! Sounds delicious!! TYFS!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN