Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spring Cleaning Challenge Day 8: Clean Your Kitchen

Posted by   + Show Post

The kitchen is often the heart of the home, but more traffic means more mess! Well, you're in luck: today's the day to clean your kitchen!

Clean out your fridge first: toss any old food, and give the whole thing a good scrub-down to remove sticky-ness, bacteria, grime, and any other unpleasantness lurking there. When you're done, open a fresh box of baking soda and set it in the back of the fridge to absorb odors.

Next, make sure your stove, oven, microwave, and counters are all in good shape for the new season. Then, focus on the top 5 kitchen clutter areas (according to The Container Store): counters, drawers, cabinets, sink area, and pantry. The Stir has a good post about how to clean out your pantry, with tips for what to look for, what to get rid of, and what to always have on hand. Check it out here.

Finally, give everything a good wipe-down (ceiling fans and tops of cabinets included, if you can get to them safely, or better yet, have someone else do it!), and then vacuum and mop the floor.

Then take a break and check up on Cafe Amanda's progress here! >>

Tell us how your kitchen clean-up went in the replies below! Post before and after pictures if you want to show off!

sweepingIf you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. To sign up for the Spring Cleaning Challenge, click here.

by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
ForeverInLove
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I'll have to find something other than a wire brush.... I'd think it would scratch the hell out of the interior, lol.

I tried to google, but got crap from yahoo answers... and was appalled at some of the answers! So rude!

Quoting Bmat:

I googled and saw several methods for cleaning a gas oven. This one made sense and doesn't use strong chemicals.

http://www.homeandgardenideas.com/home-improvement/appliances/oven-stovetops/how-clean-gas-oven

It says to use a wire brush in a cool oven,  use paper towels to clean up debris, then use baking soda to clean.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

I don't need to worry about the pantry, since we really don't have one, lol. I have a small cabinet, and that is it.... we pretty much eat everything in it every week....

Does anyone have any idea on how to clean a GAS oven? I haven't cleaned inside my oven, because I'm not sure what to do with an active pilot light... oven cleaners are flammable...

JCTVCBN
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:48 AM

The only thing I really need to do is clean out my refrigerator.

MichelleK41
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I do my kitchen nightly but do need to get those drawers cleaned out!

amy7243
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I did this this weekend. The ceiling fans were soooo dusty...ugh.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Just did a pretty thorough cleaning last week, but I still need to go through the cabinets.

kiddo0820
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:58 AM
We'll be cleaning ours this weekend
Connie127
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM
I'll clean it later

frankiesma530
by Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I just did a little cleaning yesterday afternoon and now all I have left is the messy stuff like scrubbing the stove, cleaning oven, and disinfecting everything!

Momforhealth
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I try to clean my fridge at least 1 time a week.  I do need to clean my cabinets and throw junk away that I do not use anymore. I dislike cleaning my stove but happy it is not with toxic stuff.  I also need to replace my drip pans which helps save electricity. blah!                           

Flaca43
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I have been taking care of some things in the kitchen this week, including cleaning out the fridge. I am going to give the stove a good cleaning this afternoon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)