Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Beans beans and more beans!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM
  • 29 Replies
Hello ladies! Care to share your favorite thing to make with beans? I need some ideas. We love beans and since I get 4 Cans a month from wic I'd like some new ideas how to use them. All I seem to make is bean n ham soup or chili. Thanks ladies! Have a great night!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
girllovescamo
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Btw, in my cupboard now I have pinto, black, kidney and navy beans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Santina25
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Chicken and black bean soup!
You need 2 cans black beans, chicken, salsa and I put corn in it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
girllovescamo
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Sounds yummy! Do u use chicken stock as the base or just water? Do you prefer it kinda thin or thick?

Quoting Santina25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Santina25
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM
I use chicken stock, but water probably works too! I like mine thicker :) Usually just put all that stuff in the crockpot and let it cook!

Quoting girllovescamo:

Sounds yummy! Do u use chicken stock as the base or just water? Do you prefer it kinda thin or thick?

Quoting Santina25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Hope you find a couple recipes you might like.

girllovescamo
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Mmm this sounds good too thanks ;)

Quoting goddess99:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/107096/forums/read/12648883/_Beans

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
girllovescamo
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Perfect I love crock pot stuff!

Quoting Santina25:

I use chicken stock, but water probably works too! I like mine thicker :) Usually just put all that stuff in the crockpot and let it cook!

Quoting girllovescamo:

Quoting Santina25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Angela on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

since we are vegetarian, we eat a lot of beans...you can mash black or pintos up and make bean burritos, tacos or nachos,,,mix any beans with rice and eat with cornbread....if you can get Great Northern beans, mash them with a little olive oil or butter, then mix in some garlic and sage, spread in a oven proof dish, top with cheese and yummy! you can also puree and add your favorite seasonings and use as a sandwich spread on whole grain breads, drain and add to salads, marinate with olive oil and a little vinegar, plus your favorite seasonings and use as a side dish...beans are so versatile!

rkoloms
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

All beans are pretty interchangeable. Here are some of our favorite bean recipes:

Tamale Bean Pie
1 medium onion - chopped
1 green bell pepper - chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
16 ounces refried beans, fatfree - (1 can) (I use the dehydrated or 1.5 cups home cooked)
30 ounces pinto beans, canned - (2 cans) (or 3 cups home cooked)
1 cup frozen corn kernels
3/4 cup salsa
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 tsp salt - optional
1 tbl nutritional yeast (loaded with B vitamins, has a salty cheesy flavor)
Cornmeal Crust
1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1 tbl agave nectar -- or other liquid sweetener*
1 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion until it is just beginning to brown, stirring constantly. Add the green pepper and stir for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for one more minute. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the nutritional yeast and crust ingredients. Mix well and pour into a 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
Mix cornmeal with salt and stir in agave nectar. Beat in boiling water until mixture is smooth. Drop by spoonfuls over nutritional yeast and beans and spread to cover the surface.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crusty.
*Any mild-tasting liquid sweetener will do--including rice syrup, corn syrup, honey, or barley malt syrup

Sweet Potato Burritos
3 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups canned kidney beans, drained (I use home cooked black beans; you can use any bean)
2 cups water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
12 whole wheat tortillas, warmed
shredded cheese (whatever you have)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic in until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm. Remove from heat,
and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce. Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve. NOTE: I put the cheese inside and freeze burritos wrapped in wax paper in a big zipper bag; they can be microwaved safely in the wax paper.

Southwest Falafel

Patties
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (drained and rinsed) (any bean, canned or 1.5 cups home cooked)
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1/4 cup finely crushed baked tortilla chips
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
Spread - I don't use this part; I mash an avocado with salsa and fat free yogurt (Greek-style is best)
1/4 cup mashed peeled avocado
2 tablespoons finely chopped plum tomato
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 (6 inch) pita's, each cut in half crosswise - I use 4 whole wheat tortillas
To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white) stir until well combined. Form into 4 (1/2 inch thick) oval patties.
Heat oil in a lg nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 3 min on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
To prepare spread, while patties cook, combine avocado, tomato, red onion, sour cream, lime juice, and salt. Place one patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons of spread over patty in each pita half

Vegetable Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings
3 cups peeled butternut or acorn squash cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
2 14-1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15-ounce can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained or 1.5 cups homecookes; any bean will do
1 cup water or vegetable broth
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1/3 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (lots of B vitamins and a nice cheesey flavor)
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg or egg replacer
2 tablespoons milk (plant or animal)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 9-ounce package frozen Italian green beans or frozen cut green beans (I hate green beans, so I use frozen chopped spinach)
Paprika
In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine squash, mushrooms, undrained tomatoes, Great Northern beans, the water, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
For dumplings: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, parsley, bakiing powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and oil. Add to the flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir frozen green beans into stew. Drop the dumpling dough into six mounds on top of the stew. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook for 50 minutes more. (Do not lift lid while dumplings are cooking.)

Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Cabbage Rolls

1TB packed brown sugar
1 large head green cabbage
1 can (15 oz.) black beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or 1.5 cups home cooked)
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3-1/2 cups marinara sauce or meatless spaghetti sauce (jarred or home cooked)
1/3 cup raisins
3 TB lemon juice
Remove 8 large outer leaves from head of cabbage. In a Dutch oven cook cabbage leaves in boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes or just until leaves are limp. Drain cabbage leaves. Trim the thick rib in center of each leaf. Set leaves aside. Shred 4 cups of the remaining cabbage; place shredded cabbage in a 3-1/2 to 6 quart crock pot. In medium bowl combine beans, cooked rice, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce. Divide bean mixture evenly among the 8 cabbage leaves, using about 1/3 cup per leaf. Fold sides of leaf over filling and roll up. Repeat with remaining cabbage rolls Combine remaining marinara sauce, raisins, lemon juice, and brown sugar. Pour about half of the sauce mixture over shredded cabbage in cooker. Stir to mix. Place cabbage rolls atop shredded cabbage. Top with remaining sauce. Cover and cook on LOW heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on HIGH heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours. Carefully remove the cooked cabbage rolls and serve with the shredded cabbage.

Crockpot Cheesy White Cauliflower Chili
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 onions finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. cumin seeds
1 tbsp. dried oregano leaves
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cracked black peppercorns
1 14 to 19 oz. can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed, or 1 C dried white kidney beans, cooked and drained
3 cups vegetable stock
3 cup cauliflower florets, cooked for 4 minutes in salted boiling water and drained
1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
1 green bell pepper, minced
2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
4 ozs. cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and softened
1 can chopped mild green chilies
finely chopped green onions, optional, for garnish
finely chopped cilantro, optional, for garnish

In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, cumin seeds, oregano, chili powder, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to slow cooker stoneware. Add beans and stock and stir to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours, until hot and bubbling.
Stir in cauliflower, jalapeno pepper, green pepper, Monterey jack cheese, and cream cheese and chilies, if using. Cover and cook on high for 25 to 30 minutes, until the green peppers are softened and cauliflower is heated through. Ladle into bowls and garnish as desired with chopped green onions and cilantro.
If you prefer thicker chili, mash some or all of the beans or puree in a food processor before adding to the recipe.NOTE: if you don't have a slow cooker, you can certainly simmer this on the stove, stirring and adding liquid as needed.

MEXICAN BEAN AND PASTA BAKE 

1 med. onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2" segment hot chili pepper, minced or 1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 qt. undrained canned diced tomatoes
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 c. uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni or other pasta broken into pieces
3/4 c. frozen or canned corn

3/4 c. diced zucchini

3 c. cooked pink or black beans (or two cans)
1/2 c. sliced black olives
1 c. broken taco shells or tortilla chips
1 c. shredded Jack cheese or cheese of your choice

In a skillet coated with non-stick cooking spray (I use olive oil) sauté onion, garlic and hot pepper for about 3 minutes to soften. Add chili powder and cook briefly. Add tomatoes, oregano and cumin and bring to a boil. Add pasta, corn and zucchini and simmer 15 minutes until pasta is just tender. Stir in beans and olives. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Transfer bean mixture to a shallow 2 quart casserole. Top with taco shells or tortilla chips and cheese. Bake for 10 minutes to melt cheese. If casserole is assembled in advance and chilled, increase baking time to 20 minutes or until heated through. Top with sour cream at the table.

Best Chili Ever - you can use any bean; 1 can = 1.5 cups home cooked
2 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen baby lima beans or regular lima beans or corn
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can tomato paste
2 tablespoons chili powder, or more to taste
2 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano or regular oregano (or more to taste)
2 teaspoons ground cumin (or more to taste)
1 teaspoon ground coriander (or more to taste)
1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1-2 Tbl masa, mixed with cold water
1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Salt to taste (I add this last)

If you don't have a slowcooker, this can simmer on the stove; stir and add liquid as needed. In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients but the masa, shredded cheese, cilantro and salt. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Five to 10 minutes before serving (depending on temperature of slow cooker) add masa and water mixture, cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and other spices.
Just before serving, top each serving with shredded cheese and cilantro

STUFFED PEPPERS
(The original recipe called for brown rice, I substitute quinoa)
4 large red or green peppers
1 T olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 stalks celery, diced
1 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1 t basil
½ tsp oregano
2 cups cooked quinoa or brown rice
1 ½ cups cooked and drained red kidney beans (or one can; really, any bean will do)
2 T tamari
Cayenne to taste
1 ½ cups canned tomatoes with their juice
1 small can tomato paste
Thinly sliced cheese (optional) 
Wash the peppers and cut them in half  length wise.  Remove the  seeds. Place the peppers, cut side down, on a  rack above boiling water.  Cover  the pot and steam for about 10 min or until they are just beginning to get  soft.  DO NOT STACK ON TOP OF ONE  ANOTHER...they will not steam evenly. Heat the olive oil in a large  skillet.  Add the onions, celery, cumin, chili powder, basil and oregano.   Saute until the onions are almost tender. Add the cooked quinoa and beans.  Mix well; then add the tamari and the  cayenne to taste. Mix again. Lightly oil a shallow 7 x 11 inch baking  dish.  Fill each pepper with the  bean and quinoa mixture and place the peppers side by side in the baking  dish. Mix together the canned tomatoes and the  tomato paste.  If the tomatoes are  whole, chop them up or break them up with a fork. Pour the tomato mixture over the stuffed  peppers.  Cover the baking dish  with foil and bake at 350´ for 30 minutes. Uncover the dish and top each pepper with a thin slice of cheese if desired.   Return the dish to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN