• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chicken Breasts that aren't dry...help?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM
  • 20 Replies
We love boneless chicken breasts baked in the oven or crock pot. I have a hard time keeping them from getting dry in the oven though...how do you keep them from getting dry when you bake them? I want to make BBQ chicken tonight. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Are you baking or broiling? I've never had an issue with them drying out when broiling. 

KamsOne
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I have never had a problem with dry chicken when baking.  Sometimes in the crock pot they get dry but it's because I've cooked them too long.  I generally pound my breasts so they are thinner and bake them at 350 for about 20 minutes.  They never come out dry that way.

lilygracesmoma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Baking, I've never tried broiling them before

Quoting OliviaW.:

Are you baking or broiling? I've never had an issue with them drying out when broiling. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilygracesmoma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM
I've never tried pounding them thinner...I may try that.

Quoting KamsOne:

I have never had a problem with dry chicken when baking.  Sometimes in the crock pot they get dry but it's because I've cooked them too long.  I generally pound my breasts so they are thinner and bake them at 350 for about 20 minutes.  They never come out dry that way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM
For oven baked BBQ chicken, I usually coat them with olive oil and seasoning and cook them to brown them on each side, about 7 mins per side. Then, I slather them with BBQ and finish them off. I think the EVOO may help seal in the juices? I also use a meat thermometer and pull them out when they are 160-165*. They recommend 165* but they usually continue to cook a
little after coming out of the oven. I usually cook them on 350 or 375 for 20-30 mins depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Oven bags or cover meat with foil when baking.

SuperPickle
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Invest in a meat thermometer!! Most of the time by the time you can visually "tell" it is done, it is OVER done and dry.

KaylaMillar
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM
I agree

Quoting SuperPickle:

Invest in a meat thermometer!! Most of the time by the time you can visually "tell" it is done, it is OVER done and dry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Try getting them on the bone; it helps keep them moist. BLSL are very eassy to over cook and dry out.

sweet_bumblbee
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I individually cover them with foil, it seems to help me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)