Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

vegetarian recipies?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM
  • 35 Replies

I'm new to this group, and love to look at new recipies.  However, I can't use most of them since I only cook vegetarian for my vegetarian daughter.  I run out of ideas quickly and was wondering if anyone has any recipies they would like to share.  Thanks.

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
periwinkle163
by Mandy on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

We usually have pasta when we are having a meat-free day. I'm pretty sure there are a few other vegetarian mommas on here so hopefully someone can help!

HopefulMommy89
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM
There are a lot of vegetarian recipes in my Cooking to Conceive cookbook that are really healthy and yummy; I'll try to post some of those later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimberly954
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Yeah, we are kind of the same way. DH doesnt love veggies enough to make a meal of it. My mom makes a cabbage stew though thats really healthy and good. Tastes like regular vegetable soup but very low cal. If i was making that a meal I would have it with a baked potato or something like that.

Quoting periwinkle163:

We usually have pasta when we are having a meat-free day. I'm pretty sure there are a few other vegetarian mommas on here so hopefully someone can help!

Kimberly954
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Oh, stuffed peppers. I make mine with sausage but I am sure you could sub out the sausage and replace it with a bean!

rkoloms
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM

We are a vegetarian family, and I would be happy to share some of my family's favorites!

Send me a message offlist if you are interested!

Robin in Chicago

rkoloms
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Quoting Kimberly954:

Oh, stuffed peppers. I make mine with sausage but I am sure you could sub out the sausage and replace it with a bean!

This is the recipe I use:

STUFFED PEPPERS
(The original recipe called for brown rice, I substitute quinoa)
4 large red or green peppers
1 T olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 stalks celery, diced
1 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1 t basil
½ tsp oregano
2 cups cooked quinoa or brown rice
1 ½ cups cooked and drained red kidney beans (or one can; really, any bean will do)
2 T tamari
Cayenne to taste
1 ½ cups canned tomatoes with their juice
1 small can tomato paste
Thinly sliced cheese (optional) 
Wash the peppers and cut them in half  length wise.  Remove the  seeds. Place the peppers, cut side down, on a  rack above boiling water.  Cover  the pot and steam for about 10 min or until they are just beginning to get  soft.  DO NOT STACK ON TOP OF ONE  ANOTHER...they will not steam evenly. Heat the olive oil in a large  skillet.  Add the onions, celery, cumin, chili powder, basil and oregano.   Saute until the onions are almost tender. Add the cooked quinoa and beans.  Mix well; then add the tamari and the  cayenne to taste. Mix again. Lightly oil a shallow 7 x 11 inch baking  dish.  Fill each pepper with the  bean and quinoa mixture and place the peppers side by side in the baking  dish. Mix together the canned tomatoes and the  tomato paste.  If the tomatoes are  whole, chop them up or break them up with a fork. Pour the tomato mixture over the stuffed  peppers.  Cover the baking dish  with foil and bake at 350´ for 30 minutes. Uncover the dish and top each pepper with a thin slice of cheese if desired.   Return the dish to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Hi, here's a veggie recipe site I googled...

http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/easyrecipes.html

shivasgirl
by Angela on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I made this up last night because we were running low on groceries, lol

1 cup wild rice mix (we use the Texamati Wild Rice Blend)

2 cups water

1 veggie bullion cube (We used the NotChicken)

1 can sweet potatoes

1 cup cooked Great Northern Beans

3 vegetarian sausage patties

combine all and put in a baking pan, cover with foil and bake at 400 for 1 hour...my 6yr old is eating cold leftovers of it as wekspeak, lol...it made a LOT of food

rkoloms
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM

This is my favorite source of vegetarian recipes:  http://www.vegkitchen.com/.  Great nutritional information, too!

calico1954
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks to all for the great information and recipes.  i plan to use a few and to look up some on those sites.  some good cookin' coming up soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)