Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a standard amount (percentage) you typically tip? Does service have to be REALLY bad to lose that or do you feel that you should start the tip low and then they have to work hard to earn more?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
kgau73
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kimberly954:

We almost always tip 20%, unless service was really bad, then we will decrease it but we almost always tip at least 15%.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I type the standard, which is 18% percent.  If the service is above and beyond, i tip more than that. 

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Having been a server many a time, I know first hand how the kitchen, the hostess, and the manager can affect your service.  If they're trying, they deserve a decent tip.  I give 20%, more if it's excellent service.  You wouldn't believe how a good tip can make your day.  If it's truly lousy service, I still tip 15% because most of the time servers work long and hard for 1/2 of minimum wage.  And don't forget they come in at least an hour before customers do and stay at least an hour past closing.  During that time, they're getting something like $2.75 per hour.  (I remember getting $2.13 per hour.)  Tipping is their only means of real income.  And they get few, if any, benefits.  No insurance, no sick days, no vacation.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Have not been able to go out in a long while....but from past times dh would always try to leave a tip.

EmmieandMom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Do you guys understand most servers get an hourly wage of $2.15 hr and tips but they still must tip out bartenders and bussers. Give at least 18 percent alway maybe more for great service. If you had bad service don't go back and avoid chain restraunts that always have bad service.
fairymaid23
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM
I do a basic 20% but if the service is real good it goes up and if its real bad it goes down. But I always leave an explanation on the recept wen we pay if rvice was good or bad n y the tip reflects that.
LOVES67
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Well to me they have to give me good service I still tip them but a good tip.. So far every restaurant I been the service is good...

epoh
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM
I usually tip 20%. Not smiling and a general poor disposition will make me not tip at all. I used to be a server and I know the ins and outs of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Last night I tipped 30% for good service. 

IF the service is lousy I will leave a buck, so they know I didnt "forget"(I have only had to do that ONCE in my life)

Generally I will leave 15-20 for average service.

Haynkysmama
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Quoting gemini53176:

i always do 20 percent unless they are horrible then i tip less. if they are bad though it is usually because they are new and i feel bad for them so i still end up tipping. These people are making like 3.25 or less an hour, the tips are their income.

Is that even legal?? I don't know of any state whose minimum wage is $3.25/hr....tip or no tip, who could live on that?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)