Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Do you eat....flowers??

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Jen
  • 26 Replies

Okay, well technically they are weeds but.....

I was reading in a magazine where this person's mom used to fry up dandelions and they would eat them. 

Has anyone ever eaten dandelions??  Or any other wild flower/weed?  If so, how do you prepare it and what does it taste like?  Seems to me it would be bitter.

little flower

by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I LOVE dandelion greens salad 

Garland Chrysanthemums are great in a stir fry or for tea

Geraniums make fantastic ice creams

Rose for tea, rose hips for jelly

Nasturtiums have a wonderful peppery bite and are great in salad(both greens and flowers)

Stuffed Nasturtium flowers are delicious!

Dandelion Wine is awesome if you have the time to make it http://www.wineintro.com/making/batches/dandelion/

ETA how could I forget LAVENDER!!!!?? I live in Lavender capital of North America. I use the different varieties in everything from steak seasoings, to chicken, to drinks, to pies and cookies and cakes, to jelly!

Sarita33
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 4:13 PM
My neighbor used to make dandelion soup? Or stew? All the time. I have never as an adult had any though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM

blueberries are flowers...

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on May. 3, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Interesting! I've never eaten them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starlight1968
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM

aaah dandelions.. there is a family salad made for holidays that instead of lettuce (which we use) you use dandelion greens.   I don't recall eating it with the 'real' stuff lol.

KamsOne
by Jen on May. 3, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Wow.  I didn't realize there were so many uses for flowers.  I will definitely have to look into this more.  My yard is covered in dandelions right now.  Wonder if I could send dd out to pick them all and make dinner out of them!  :)

Quoting SuperPickle:

Nasturtiums have a wonderful peppery bite and are great in salad(both greens and flowers)

Dandelion Wine is awesome if you have the time to make it http://www.wineintro.com/making/batches/dandelion/

jjamom
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM
I know it was a big fad maybe 10 years ago or so to eat flowers, but I could never bring myself to try them. Lots of flowers for edible garnish and wedding cake toppers.

My great-grandmother used to make dandelion wine, but long before I was born, so I never tried that either. I do know that (and this sounds gross, but..,) when I was little I used to suck my thumb and we would be out playing and after I would pick a dandelion, if I put my thumb in my mouth, it would taste really bitter, so I don't know if I would have been a fan of the dandelion wine.

I am intrigued by the recipe for stuffed squash blossoms, which are stuffed with a cream cheese mixture and then deep fried. I saw Emeril make them on a show once and they looked really good.
periwinkle163
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:57 PM

My sister gave me a book on edible flowers once, but I'm not sure what happened to it, I've never tried it before.

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM

My mother used to make poke salad, and dandelion salad. I've made a pound cake, lining the pan with gardenias-which gives a nice flavor, also lavender.

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM

You have to be very careful when you use anything from your yard, because most likely they've had some chemicals on them, and might not be safe to eat.

Quoting KamsOne:

Wow.  I didn't realize there were so many uses for flowers.  I will definitely have to look into this more.  My yard is covered in dandelions right now.  Wonder if I could send dd out to pick them all and make dinner out of them!  :)

Quoting SuperPickle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)