Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Okay, well technically they are weeds but.....

I was reading in a magazine where this person's mom used to fry up dandelions and they would eat them. 

Has anyone ever eaten dandelions??  Or any other wild flower/weed?  If so, how do you prepare it and what does it taste like?  Seems to me it would be bitter.

little flower

by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
HopefulMommy89
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM
I wanted to use lavender in cupcakes when I first started my cupcake company but I did some research on all kinds of flowers & herbs & lavender is not supposed to be consumed or even touched by a pregnant woman; it can apparently cause a miscarriage!! So that idea for me went out the window in a flash :(

Quoting SweetLuci:

My mother used to make poke salad, and dandelion salad. I've made a pound cake, lining the pan with gardenias-which gives a nice flavor, also lavender.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Dandelion greens are in those mixes at the store.  I've also picked and cooked young "poke" plants and lamb's quarters in the Spring, when they grow around the edges of the tilled garden.  I parboiled them about 3 times to get the "bitter" out, but then they tasted just like spinach.

I've tried edible flowers and it tastes like munching on cologne to me.  Don't like it.  Haven't tried fried squash or pumpkin blossoms, though, and I hear they're good.  I dunno.

armywife7885
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM
When I was in elemen school, for science class we picked dandalions and fried them. Just dusted them with flour and fried in some oil. They were good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on May. 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I don't remember eating dandelions but my dh used to buy cereal with rose petals in it. That was in England though...

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I consumed/used lots of lavender during all my pregnancies and never heard that one.

Quoting HopefulMommy89:

I wanted to use lavender in cupcakes when I first started my cupcake company but I did some research on all kinds of flowers & herbs & lavender is not supposed to be consumed or even touched by a pregnant woman; it can apparently cause a miscarriage!! So that idea for me went out the window in a flash :(

Quoting SweetLuci:

My mother used to make poke salad, and dandelion salad. I've made a pound cake, lining the pan with gardenias-which gives a nice flavor, also lavender.

tifbrown
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I have eaten the leaves in salad, never the flowers. It was a bit bitter, but drenched in dressing it's not too bad.

LeAnaR
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I use dandelions to make dandelion syrup. It tastes just like honey! :)

pristine729
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM
I haven't personally....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamsOne
by Jen on May. 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Ooh...that sounds great. Will you share the recipe?

Quoting LeAnaR:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LeAnaR
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM

(This is not my recipe or photo (Iused my last jar today so I couldnt take a pic of it, but this is a photo of what it looks like and I use the recipe from http://www.mooberry-farm.com/2011/06/dandelion-syrup-aka-homemade-honey.html )

Dandelion flowers, approximately 12 cups

6 cups of water

1 tbsp of lemon juice

Combine the syrup ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for one hour. Remove from heat and allow to steep for several hours, or overnight.

Strain~

Place a paper towel or coffee filter in a colander. Set the colander over a large bowl, to catch all of the dandelion "juice." Pour cooled dandelion mixture through the strainer. Squeeze flower petals to get all of the liquid out.

Cook~

Put dandelion "juice" in a medium saucepan. Add 3 cups of sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer until syrup is thickened, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Jar~

Pour syrup into a jar. Cover and store in the refrigerator.

This recipe makes about 1 pint. Recipe can be doubled (or more) by adjusting ingredient proportions.

Quoting KamsOne:

Ooh...that sounds great. Will you share the recipe?

Quoting LeAnaR:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)