Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms
So am at that point we all get to, tired of making the same thing every week. So I need some new ideas for dinner that does not call for the use of egg. I have some chicken and ground beef. Ideas beside the basic taco, bbq chicken, and all the basic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Replies (11-17):
Kimberly954
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

With chicken breasts, my familys favorite is when I put them in a baking dish and pour a can of cream of chicken mixed with a little milk on top. When the chicken is cooked through, I mix in a tablespoon of cornstarch or flour to the soup mix and pop it back in the oven for a couple minutes to thicken it up. I use the sauce as gravy and serve it with mashed potatoes.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I have tons of stuff on my blog. I am constantly making new recipes. We rarely have the same thing 2x in a month LOL

http://cookinwithsuperpickle.blogspot.com/

rkoloms
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Quoting hollinicole:

We do most of these, I have yet done shepherds pie, but I think that calls for egg, will have to look. Thanks

Quoting KamsOne:

With the ground beef you could make:

Meat sauce

Hamburger gravy served over mashed potatoes or noodles

Meatloaf

Taco cups (fun for the kids!)

Shepherd's pie

I don't use eggs in Shepherd's Pie

(Serves 6-8)
1 2/3 cups dried green lentils
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups water
4 pounds potatoes (I use half organic russets and half organic Yukon golds)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1 1/2 cups diced carrots
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 or 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups frozen peas (I use half peas and half corn)

4 ounces (1 stick) butter
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 cup grated Cheddar

1 In 3-quart saucepan, bring lentils, salt and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, loosely covered, until tender. Cooking time may take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on the variety and the age of the lentils (I cooked these for 40 minutes--the package said 30). When they are done, there will be just a little water left. Drain it off and reserve it for another use.

2 Pare the potatoes, and rinse and quarter them. Put them in a 3-quart saucepan; add salt and cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, loosely covered, about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

3 In the meantime, prepare filling. In 12-inch skillet, heat olive oil and cook chopped onion for 10 minutes. Add diced carrots and cook an additional 10 minutes. Sprinkle vegetables with flour and cook, stirring, until flour is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes, soy sauce and seasonings. Stir in cooked lentils. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove from heat and stir in frozen peas. Set aside.

4 Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drain and mash potatoes. Stir in butter, milk, salt, pepper and cheese.

5 Spray 13x9x2-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Line bottom of dish with half the mashed potatoes, cover with all the filling, top with remaining potatoes. Fluff potato topping with a fork. Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

6 If making ahead, refrigerate unbaked casserole until 65 minutes before serving time. Preheat oven to 375. Bake for 55 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 5, 2012 at 11:40 AM

This simple Shepherd's Pie recipe is made from only five ingredients and doesn't use egg..

Shepherd's Pie

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 tsp. dried marjoram leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

3 cups refrigerated mashed potatoes (or you can use instand or make your own)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In heavy skillet cook ground beef and onion until beef is brown and onion is tender, stirring to break up meat, about 10 minutes. Drain well. Stir in vegetables and soup and cook until hot, about 4 minutes, then add marjoram and salt and pepper to taste.

Place in 9 inch pie plate. Spoon mashed potatoes over hot meat mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes until potatoes are golden brown.

hollinicole
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Thanks for all the tips, found a few things we are going to try this week!!! Cant wait

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Meatloaf
Crockpot Meatballs

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Let us know what you tried and liked.
Quoting hollinicole:

Thanks for all the tips, found a few things we are going to try this week!!! Cant wait

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)