Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Cinco de Mayo

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM
  • 22 Replies
Is anyone doing anything special for cinco de mayo? We aren't doing anything fancy but we are having tacos, nachos, queso and margaritas. We love mexican food (or tex-mex) so we thought we'd take advantage of the day! Feel free to share any recipes you might have!
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I am making a killer Enchilada Suiza Lasagna with homemade tortillas, Cilanto Lime Roasted Veggies(adding asparagus and tomatillos asparagus looked like CRAP so I changed it to sliced nopales panels this year) on the side. Not Fried Ice Cream for dessert(recipe at the bottom, with raspberry sauce this year)

We are having our neighbors over, they are bringing another side and stuff for pina coladas

kt674
by Kari on May. 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Quoting SuperPickle:

I am making a killer Enchilada Suiza Lasagna with homemade tortillas, Cilanto Lime Roasted Veggies(adding asparagus and tomatillos this year) on the side. Not Fried Ice Cream for dessert(recipe at the bottome, with raspberry sauce this year)

We are having our neighbors over, they are bringing another side and stuff for pina coladas

Sounds yummy! Love the not fried icecream idea! I will have to try that.

periwinkle163
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

No, but margarita's sound nice:)

jjamom
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I haven't decided what to make yet, but I think a margherita is definitely in order to along with whatever I decide!
saraface5383
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM
dh's sister is having a thing at her house so im going there and bringing enchiladas,cupcakes and a veggie tray
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimberly954
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Shrimp enchillatas....since I am pregnant no margaritas for me. :(

5BMom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM
I totally blanked and bought some beautiful New York Strips for tomorrow. I think I will grill them and finish with a cilantro jalapeno butter and for sides grilled chili lime corn on the cob, spicy black beans, and flour tortillas. Its not authentic but its the best I can do, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:17 AM

We are having:

Zucchini and Cheese Enchiladas
8 corn tortillas
Olive oil
2 med. zucchini, sliced
1/4 c. onion, chopped
1 sm. can green chili
1 can whole pitted black olives
1/2 to 3/4 lb. Monterey Jack cheese (I use less cheese and mix it with 1 to 1.5 cups of refried beans)
Enchilada sauce (recipe follows for homemade sauce)
 Saute zucchini and onions in olive oil. Pour some sauce in the bottom of an oven proof 8 x 11 x 2 inch dish. Heat the tortillas one at a time for approximately 30 seconds in the microwave long enough to soften so they roll without breaking. Too hot or too long, then they get too stiff). Dip warmed tortillas into sauce. Fill with small amounts of zucchini mixture, cheese, olives and chili. Roll the enchilada and place in dish. When you have filled the dish with 8 enchiladas, top the dish with the remaining cheese, olives and chili. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the entire dish. Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Enchilada Sauce    
1/2 c. onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 c. vegetable stock
1 c. tomato puree
2 tsp. chili powder add more if desired to suit taste
1 tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
Saute onion and garlic in oil. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil an simmer for about 1/2 hour. (1 can tomato paste can be substituted for the tomato puree. Add water until you reach the consistency that you like).

Avocado Salad
4 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
1 tablespoon(s) finely chopped cilantro leaves
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 big ripe avocado(s) peeled and sliced
1 big red bell pepper(s)
1 big cucumber(s)
2 big tomato(es)
1 cup(s) corn kernels cooked
In a bowl mix the honey, lemon juice, cilantro leaves, salt and pepper to make the dressing for the salad.
Cut the red bell pepper(s), cucumber(s) and tomato(es) into long thin strips. In a big salad bowl, toss the vegetables, avocado slices, corn and the dressing with a light hand. Refrigerate. 

epoh
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM
I think I'm going with tacos. Not for cinco de mayo, but because tacos make me happy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_l
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM
We are going to a block party for Cinco De Mayo, loads of amazing food, drinks and music.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN