Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Watermelons? I can't garden anything!

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM
  • 24 Replies

I have what I think it a watermelon plant out back.  DH didn't mow over it this time so we have some growth.  He did some research and it says that you don't have to water it a lot but somewhere on cm I was told that watermelons need a ton of water since they are made up of water, lol!  Any one have a clue?

I've been trying to grown indoor herbs but we put them outside in a pot after 6weeks and they aren't growing either, ugh! If anyone has any gardening advice then I would realllly appreciate it.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimberly954
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I learned the hard way with herbs last year. I had mint and parsley and basil growing in the same pot and learned that mint kills parsley. This year I planted basil around my tomatoes and they are growing fabulously. My garden mostly died this year due to blight and overwatering (not my fault....my neighbors sprinkler head was broken and flooding my garden.)

taKENheart
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I used a cheap starter pack of basil, parsley and chives, they started off fine and then started to look dreadful.  DH decided to put them in a pot outside and he waters them lol.  The only thing kinda growing is the basil but it looks pathetic.
I appreciate the reply!  I never ever knew mint kills parsley...I don't think that is common knowledge?!?!

Quoting Kimberly954:

I learned the hard way with herbs last year. I had mint and parsley and basil growing in the same pot and learned that mint kills parsley. This year I planted basil around my tomatoes and they are growing fabulously. My garden mostly died this year due to blight and overwatering (not my fault....my neighbors sprinkler head was broken and flooding my garden.)

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 6, 2012 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I've grown mint and parsley together and never had a problem, except that if not kept under control, mint will spread out and can take over other plants.

Quoting Kimberly954:

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Watermelon needs about 1/2" of water every couple of days.

Kimberly954
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Maybe it was that mint kills basil.....I dont remember now. All my herbs died last year.

Quoting SweetLuci:

I've grown mint and parsley together and never had a problem, except that if not kept under control, mint will spread out and can take over other plants.

Quoting Kimberly954:

baquick
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk so here is a bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Hmm I have choc mint, rosemary, thyme all together. I almost lost them last year bc of the drought, watering restrictions, and overall heat. I was kinda surprised they survived.

Quoting Kimberly954:

Maybe it was that mint kills basil.....I dont remember now. All my herbs died last year.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting Kimberly954:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamsOne
by Jen on May. 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know.  I kill every plant (soooo not a green thumb here!) so I'm no help.  I wish I had a watermelon plant out back though.  How cool to have your own fresh watermelon!! 

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Article at this link on how to grow watermelons:

http://www.gardenersnet.com/vegetable/watermel.htm

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)