Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Watermelons? I can't garden anything!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have what I think it a watermelon plant out back.  DH didn't mow over it this time so we have some growth.  He did some research and it says that you don't have to water it a lot but somewhere on cm I was told that watermelons need a ton of water since they are made up of water, lol!  Any one have a clue?

I've been trying to grown indoor herbs but we put them outside in a pot after 6weeks and they aren't growing either, ugh! If anyone has any gardening advice then I would realllly appreciate it.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Replies (21-24):
epoh
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Because its one of the only ones he can reach. Lol

My herbs just won't grow! They're alive, but the stems are red on some and they just aren't getting bigger. It's been at least 6 weeks!

Quoting taKENheart:

I guess I am not the only one with sad herbs lol!  I just don't get why mine are so sad :( and won't really establish at all.
Why is he so fascinated with the African violet? LOL 

Quoting epoh:

My window herbs are sad sad sad. My sage is okay and so is my rosemary, but the rest of the plants are pathetic. :(

The flowers in my windowsill are doing very well though. If DS would stop picking at my African violet she'd be a lot happier!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taKENheart
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

That makes sense.  Also I have a critter in my backyard that could be a mole I guess...I wonder if it will bother any future plants that I attempt to grow :( Moley moley moley better get out of my yard!

Quoting epoh:

Most likely. The pests are attracted to the plants so having plants next to the house would also bring the bugs in closer.

Quoting taKENheart:

Another question from a non gardener ;)
Is there a reason why most people build a garden away from the house? Pests? 

AmosFarkle
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Look up companion planting.  Certain things like each other because they take and give different things to/from the soil.

Watermelon takes a lot of space and is a little difficult to grow.  I've had good luck, I've had bad luck...depending upon the type of summer.  Are you sure it's melon?  Could be squash or pumpkin, but I'm supposing somebody had a seed-spitting contest out there.  LOL

taKENheart
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:12 AM

LOL No I am not completely sure that it is a melon.  I am pretty sure...oh geez, don't let it be some weird Oklahoma weed hehe!
I'll see if I can identify the vine online.  Spitting contest LOL! 
I must add this funny story about "gardening" ~when I was reallllly little I tried to plant popcorn seeds because I wanted a popcorn tree. 

Quoting AmosFarkle:

Look up companion planting.  Certain things like each other because they take and give different things to/from the soil.

Watermelon takes a lot of space and is a little difficult to grow.  I've had good luck, I've had bad luck...depending upon the type of summer.  Are you sure it's melon?  Could be squash or pumpkin, but I'm supposing somebody had a seed-spitting contest out there.  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN