Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Have you ever made it?? I always thought it was a time consuming slow cooking kind of thing but whenever I watch shows with Gorden Ramsey, he always makes it sound quick and simple. I have never made it. Maybe if someone has a good recipe I will give it a try.

by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
periwinkle163
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Quoting epoh:

I've never made it and Hell's Kitchen makes me nervous to. I'm pretty sure Chef Ramsey will storm in my kitchen and call me an idiot if I try. Lol!

He is so scary on that show~!

"It is my observations, though, that happiness limits the amount of suffering one is willing to inflict upon others"
— Jacqueline Carey (Kushiel's Dart)
jjamom
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Quoting Kimberly954:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/butternut-squash-risotto-recipe/index.html

I think this is the basic recipe I used the first time, but I left the saffron out and it was fantastic.

For the seafood risotto, I did the same basic recipe, using seafood stock instead of chicken stock and instead of folding in butternut squash at the end, I folded in jumbo lump crab meat and shrimp I had sautéed in a pan in some olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. I also left out the pancetta each time I made it, because I have never cooked with pancetta before. I think you could use bacon in it's place if you wanted to, but it's not a necessity.
SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Pre-cooked rice will not work. To be right, it needs to be made and served immediately. Timing is key. To little and it will be too hard, too much time and it will be overcooked and mushy.

Quoting Kimberly954:

They always make it "made to order" for each customer. I always wondered about that myself.

Quoting taKENheart:

I've made it a few times and I really like it.  I always wondered how Ramsey seems to make it so fast...makes me wonder if he is using half-way cooked rice from the fridge ;)  I might see if that works next time LOL

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on May. 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM
I've never made it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM

It's not hard to make, but it does take your undivided attention.

Risotto
1 small onion
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups arborio, carnaroli, or vialone nano rice
1/2 cup white wine
6-8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1-2 tablespoons butter
1 cup cheese (Parmesan is classic, but you can use any kind)

1.  Measure, chop, and gather all of the ingredients going into your risotto. Warm the broth in a saucepan over low heat. It should be just barely steaming by the time you start the risotto.

2. Soffrito - This is the flavor base of your risotto. It almost always includes onions, but you can add any other aromatics, spices, or ingredients you would like. Sauté these ingredients in a healthy amount of butter (which is traditional) or olive oil over medium-high heat until the onion is translucent and beginning to break down. Add the garlic and other spices, and cook until fragrant.

3.  Pour the rice into the soffrito and stir until every grain is coated with fat. (Add more fat if needed - this is not the time to skimp!) Continue stirring the rice until the edges have turned translucent but the center is still opaque. You should also be able to smell the aroma of toasted rice.

4.  Deglazing the pan at this point isn't strictly necessary, but a splash of white wine will add another layer of flavor and help lift up any bits that have caramelized to the pan. Use a 1/2 cup or so of wine, and simmer until the wine has completely reduced and the pan is nearly dry.

5.  Begin incrementally adding the warm broth one ladle at a time. Wait to add another ladle until the liquid has been almost completely absorbed by the rice. This gradual addition of liquid is key to getting the rice to release its starch and create its own delicious sauce, so don't rush this step. Ideally, you want to use just enough broth to cook the rice and no more.

Begin tasting the rice after about 12 minutes to gauge how far it has cooked. Add salt and other seasonings as needed. The risotto is ready when the rice is al dente (when it still has a bit of chew) and the dish has the consistency of thick porridge. If you run your spatula through the risotto, the risotto flow slowly to fill in the space.

6. As a final step, add one more ladle of broth along with one or two tablespoons of butter and a cup of cheese to enrich the risotto and make it extra-creamy.

Serve the risotto immediately. The longer it stands, the more the starches will set and you'll lose the creamy silkiness.

jjamom
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 6:55 AM
Quoting SweetLuci:

I agree. You also need to make sure you use the right type of rice. White, brown, long-grain, etc will not work. It needs to be arborio rice, so that it releases the right amount of starch to give it the nice creamy consistency that is unique to risotto.
KamsOne
by Jen on May. 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I've never made it nor eaten it.  But I always watch Hells Kitchen and see it on there all the time and have been wanting to make it.  Just haven't gotten around to it.  Anytime I hear rissotto I think of Hell's Kitchen.  :)

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 16, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Yes, that's very important. Short grain rice is also good for making rice pudding.  

Quoting jjamom:

Quoting SweetLuci:

I agree. You also need to make sure you use the right type of rice. White, brown, long-grain, etc will not work. It needs to be arborio rice, so that it releases the right amount of starch to give it the nice creamy consistency that is unique to risotto.

rkoloms
by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:24 AM

I made this once; very tasty, too much work for my taste:

Roasted Spring Vegetable Risotto

1 lb. asparagus, cut into 2" lengths
2 cups baby carrots cut in lengthwise quarters
6 green onions, cut into 1" pieces
3 medium bell peppers (green, red and yellow), cut into 1" strips (4-1/2 cups) I did not use green
2 medium zucchini OR 
2 yellow summer squash, cut into diagonal slices
1 cup halved fresh medium mushrooms
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary or thyme OR 
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary OR thyme, crushed
6 cups Vegetable Broth
1 TB olive oil
1-1/3 cups Arborio rice (medium grain)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 

Preheat oven to 425° F. Spray or paint 11" x 17" roasting pan with olive oil. Mix asparagus, carrots, onions, peppers, squash, mushrooms, rosemary and 1/4 cup broth in prepared pan.

Roast 20 minutes, or until done, stirring once. While vegetables are roasting, prepare rice.

Heat oil in saucepan. Add rice. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth and cook until broth is absorbed. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until all broth is absorbed before adding 
more. (Total cooking time: 25 minutes.)

Add vegetables and cheese. Heat through. Serve immediately. 

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I've never made it or eaten it for that matter. But I have seen it, looks good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)