Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Cheese Souffle

Posted by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Jen
  • 8 Replies

National Cheese Souffle Day is on May 18th.

A souffle is a fluffy, baked cake-like dish that starts with a sauce made primarily with egg yolks. Beaten egg whites are used to lighten the mixture along with other items such as cheese and spices to flavor it.2 Souffles can be made as a main or side dish. Souffles can be a savory dish like the cheese souffle, or a sweet dish for dessert, such as a chocolate souffle. Souffles are usually made in a special dish called a souffle pan.3

National Cheese Souffle Day History

The French invented souffles in the late 1700s. A chef named Beauvilliers was making souffles as early as 1782. The first recipes were published in Louis Ude’s The French Cook of 1813. The cookbook offered recipes for various kinds of souffles and touted them as being an economical dish to serve when having company.4 According to the Oxford Companion to Food, cooks had trouble with the souffles collapsing. That was the start of the reputation that souffles have for being a difficult dish to make.4

Souffles....love 'em?  Hate 'em?  Do you have a favorite recipe?

by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KamsOne
by Jen on May. 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM

National Cheese Souffle Day

Five Food Finds about Soufflet

• A souffle is essentially a simple white sauce enriched with egg yolk. Stiff egg whites are folded right into the mixture. At this point, you can add whatever flavor you like: cheese, vegetables, chocolate or fruit.
  • The secret to a great souffle is to beat the egg whites into stiff white peak consistency and to fold them carefully into the sauce to keep as much air in the mixture as possible.
  • Savory souffles are often too light for a main course, but the addition of chicken and spinach here bolsters this into a substantial main course. When you break into it with your fork, the seductive aroma of cheese, chicken and spinach pours out. It's elegant, airy and fluffy.
  • The secret to success is making sure your timing is just right. So plan ahead carefully; figure out what you will be serving first -- such as a salad or soup -- and time the souffle to go into the oven as you sit down for your first course.
  • You can wait for a souffle, but a souffle waits for no one. You don't want to serve a deflated souffle.
SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM

It seems intimidating, but as long as you follow directions, it's easy. I like a cheese souffle, and sometimes add crab, but I don't really like dessert souffles. I like to serve a salad with it for lunch. When the kids were little, they liked this, but DH was never a fan.

Cheese Souffle
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
12 teaspoon salt
dash cayenne pepper
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar or Swiss cheese
4 eggs, separated

1.Preheat oven to 350. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt  and cayenne until smooth; gradually add the milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
2.Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Pour into four greased 10-oz. souffle dishes or custard cups. Run a butter knife around edge of dishes after filling.  This keeps the batter from clinging to the edge and you get a better rise. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.

KamsOne
by Jen on May. 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I don't think I've ever tried a souffle!

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I've never had one but it looks good!

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on May. 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Love them! I need to get some souffle dishes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimberly954
by on May. 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I have never tried them so i have never made one.

periwinkle163
by on May. 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I've never tried one, but they sound so good.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Have not tried it...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN