Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Lettuce Recall - The Stir

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:58 PM
  • 16 Replies

Lettuce Recall Info from The Stir
http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_party/137927/latest_bagged_salad_recall_sparks

Over the weekend the River Ranch Fresh Foods company announced a recall of their bagged salad for California and Colorado. But guess what, nation? That recall has been expanded nationally. Routine testing detected listeria contamination.

Dang, I hate it when this happens to bagged salad! And we just had another salad recall last month. But at least I've gotten back into the habit of washing my salad, even when the package reads "triple washed." Anyway, fortunately no illnesses have been reported so far. But here's the info you'll need to check and see if you're affected.

The salad is sold under the following names: River Ranch, Farm Stand, Hy-Vee, Marketside, Shurfresh, The Farmer's Market, Cross Valley, Fresh n Easy, Promark, and Sysco. And you'll want to check the "best by" dates, located (usually) in the upper right hand corner of the bags: Between May 12 and May 29 or Julian dates of 118 and 125. You can get more specific information here from the FDA.

And now -- do you know the symptoms for listeria contamination? It's a stiff neck, headache, and high fever. Pregnant women, the elderly, and children are especially vulnerable to listeriosis, which can become sepsis or meningitis.

Okay, hopefully none of you have bags of salad answering to these descriptions in your refrigerator! Keep your fridge cold (under 4 degrees) and wash those greens.

Do you buy bagged salad? If so, do you usually wash it even if it's pre-washed?

by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I rinse a head if I buy it fresh....I don't rinse the bagged.

OliviaW.
by on May. 22, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I normally don't buy bagged salad very often but when I do I d wash it. Same goes with anything that says prewashed.

Kimberly954
by on May. 22, 2012 at 5:33 PM

If its in the water that grows the lettuce(at least thats what i thought was happening), why is it just bagged lettuce that gets recalled and how does pre-washing get rid of that???

KamsOne
by Jen on May. 22, 2012 at 6:48 PM

ARGH!!!  I just ate bagged salad this weekend.  Maybe that explains why dd has been complaining of stomach aches!!

I never wash it.  I just dump it and eat it. 

KamsOne
by Jen on May. 22, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Great question!

Quoting Kimberly954:

If its in the water that grows the lettuce(at least thats what i thought was happening), why is it just bagged lettuce that gets recalled and how does pre-washing get rid of that???

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Tyfs!

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Once again why I do not like bagged/pre-washed lettuce :(

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Lettuce that is infected -from what I remember reading-is when trickle down from dairy farms contaminate the head-cow feces harbor listeria...It gets on the leaves-they chop,process and rinse the lettuce-but all it takes is a couple contaminated heads to spread once it's chopped.

Ever buy a head of romain-and you think you washed it well-ony to find debris in a few leaves?-Well-How well is a machine gonna notice that debris? It gets mixed around and grows..

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on May. 22, 2012 at 11:33 PM

i always rinsh if i buy fresh. Theres been a lot of lettuce recalls lately. 

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2012 at 12:52 AM

That is a good question....I tried googling but did not come up with anything.....We ate bagged lettuce about 3 times in the past week.

Quoting Kimberly954:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN