Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

BLT Pasta Salad

Posted by   + Show Post

This is going on my meal plan to try.

Picture of BLT Pasta Salad Recipe

BLT Pasta Salad

12 ounces corkscrew-shaped pasta
1/2 cup milk
12 ounces lean bacon
3 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons chopped chives or scallion greens
5 heads Bibb lettuce, quartered, or 5 cups chopped romaine hearts.

Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water as the label directs. Drain and toss with the milk in a large bowl; set aside.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 3 tablespoons drippings from the pan. Add the tomatoes, thyme and garlic to the pan and toss until warmed through; season with salt and pepper. Crumble the bacon into bite-size pieces; set aside 1/4 cup for garnish. Toss the remaining bacon and the tomato mixture with the pasta.

Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and 3 tablespoons chives with the pasta until evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lettuce; toss again to coat. Garnish with the reserved bacon and the remaining 1 tablespoon chives. Serve at room temperature.

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Replies (21-23):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Mayo has egg, oil, lemon juice or vinegar and salt, sometimes a little sugar, and commercially prepared has preservatives. So yes, it would be in most dressings, but I've heard people say they were allergic to mayonnaise, or that mayonnaise makes them sick, when I asked if they have any problem with other dressing or the ingredients, they say no it's just mayonnaise that is the problem, so it seems, IMHO, that  it's just an aversion to the taste, or just "the thought of eating it" as one person said, that is the cause of the problem.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Haha! I just said this. Oops. I should really read all the replies first.

I would think, though, that whatever is in mayo that causes her migraines would also be in cream-based dressings, yes?

Quoting SweetLuci:

You could try using Ranch dressing instead of mayonnaise. What do you usually use as a substitute for recipes with mayonnaise?

SlightlyPerfect
Some people are nothing more than examples of what _not_ to be; they're breathing testimonies of what mediocrity and worthlessness can produce.
Yesterday at 7:37 PM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I had plenty left over. And it was amazing! Thank you.

I used spinach instead of romaine and fat-free mayo and sour cream.

Quoting SweetLuci:

This makes a lot. Should be plenty for your picnic. Sorry I didn't see this till just now, we've been out of town, so not on here much.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Luci, I wanna make this today for a small picnic. How many does this serve? I think there will be about 10-12 people. Something makes me think I'm gonna have to double this recipe.

slightlyperfect

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I'm so glad you liked it. I like your idea of using spinach, I'll have to try that.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I had plenty left over. And it was amazing! Thank you.

I used spinach instead of romaine and fat-free mayo and sour cream.

Quoting SweetLuci:

This makes a lot. Should be plenty for your picnic. Sorry I didn't see this till just now, we've been out of town, so not on here much.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Luci, I wanna make this today for a small picnic. How many does this serve? I think there will be about 10-12 people. Something makes me think I'm gonna have to double this recipe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)