Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

pigeon peas?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM
  • 19 Replies
I have a couple cans from my wic checks.

How do I use them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gmadiane
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

BUMP!

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Just like any peas. I cream my peas. Drain the water and put them in a pan, add milk until the peas are covered. Add butter and salt and pepper. Boil until the milk boils down. Yummy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I typically mix mine in my rice to make "rice n peas" and serve it as a side dish.  You can add bacon for flavor as well or just the rice and peas.  Add whatever spices you like as well. 

Kimbyann
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Whats the texture and taste like? I was told "something like black eyed peas" but I never had those either

Quoting Cindy18:

Just like any peas. I cream my peas. Drain the water and put them in a pan, add milk until the peas are covered. Add butter and salt and pepper. Boil until the milk boils down. Yummy!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Have you ever had Peas? They are kinda mushy. But they don't taste like beans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimbyann
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM
I've had green sweet peas not pigeon peas. The look on the can is different

Quoting Cindy18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimbyann
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Like this
http://allergyfoodie.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/pigeon-peas.jpg

Quoting Cindy18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I have only eaten them in Puerto Rican Rice. They taste good, not so much like peas, a little bit more solid, not mushy as you eat them. Here is a recipe I found for you to try if you'd like.

Ingredients
Directions
  1. Rinse the rice well and set aside.
  2. Soak the raw green pigeon peas in 1 quart of water and 2 teaspoons of salt for about 15 minutes.
  3. Rinse them and cook in 4 cups of water until they have softened. (TIP)
  4. In a 4 quart cooking pan, add the oil and smoked ham and simmer over moderate heat for about 3 minutes while stirring.
  5. Add the sofrito and tomato sauce and simmer for another 3 minutes while continuing to stir.
  6. Turn up the heat to moderate high and add 2 tablespoons of the water that was set aside and the green pigeon peas. Simmer for 3 minutes while continuing to stir.
  7. Raise the heat to high and add the water that was set aside. Once the water boils, add the rice.
  8. Reduce the heat to low, stir the rice again, then cover the pot with aluminum foil and put the lid on.
  9. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir the rice and continue to cook until done. Sample the rice to see if it is done. It should be soft to chew. Makes approximately 6 servings.

Ingredients
¾ pounds raw green pigeon peas
3 cups water (used to precook the green pigeon peas)
2 cups white rice
2 ounces diced smoked ham
2 tablespoons corn oil
½ cup sofrito
¼ cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt

For soaking the green pigeon peas:
1 quart water
2 teaspoons salt
Directions
  2. Soak the raw green pigeon peas in 1 quart of water and 2 teaspoons of salt for about 15 minutes.
  4. In a 4 quart cooking pan, add the oil and smoked ham and simmer over moderate heat for about 3 minutes while stirring.
  5. Add the sofrito and tomato sauce and simmer for another 3 minutes while continuing to stir.
  6. Turn up the heat to moderate high and add 2 tablespoons of the water that was set aside and the green pigeon peas. Simmer for 3 minutes while continuing to stir.
  7. Raise the heat to high and add the water that was set aside. Once the water boils, add the rice.
  8. Mix all the items well. Once the water starts to boil again, reduce the heat to moderate high and cook uncovered until most of the water has evaporated.
  9. Reduce the heat to low, stir the rice again, then cover the pot with aluminum foil and put the lid on.
  10. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir the rice and continue to cook until done. Sample the rice to see if it is done. It should be soft to chew. Makes approximately 6 serv
    Ingredients
    2 cups white rice
    2 tablespoons corn oil
    ½ cup sofrito
    ¼ cup tomato sauce
    1 teaspoon salt

1 quart water
    2 teaspoons salt
    Directions
    8. Mix all the items well. Once the water starts to boil again, reduce the heat to moderate high and cook uncovered until most of the water has evaporated.
    9. Reduce the heat to low, stir the rice again, then cover the pot with aluminum foil and put the lid on.
    10. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir the rice and continue to cook until done. Sample the rice to see if it is done. It should be soft to chew. Makes approximately 6 servings.
    ings.

Ingredients
2 cups white rice
2 tablespoons corn oil
½ cup sofrito
¼ cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt

1 quart water
2 teaspoons salt
Directions
  10. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir the rice and continue to cook until done. Sample the rice to see if it is done. It should be soft to chew. Makes approximately 6 servings.
Kimbyann
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Thank you! I never used or tried them before but that seems good!

Quoting Flaca43:

I have only eaten them in Puerto Rican Rice. They taste good, not so much like peas, a little bit more solid, not mushy as you eat them. Here is a recipe I found for you to try if you'd like.

Ingredients
Directions

8. Reduce the heat to low, stir the rice again, then cover the pot with aluminum foil and put the lid on.

9. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir the rice and continue to cook until done. Sample the rice to see if it is done. It should be soft to chew. Makes approximately 6 servings.

Ingredients

2 cups white rice
2 tablespoons corn oil
½ cup sofrito
¼ cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt

1 quart water
2 teaspoons salt
Directions

10. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir the rice and continue to cook until done. Sample the rice to see if it is done. It should be soft to chew. Makes approximately 6 serv

Ingredients

2 cups white rice
    2 tablespoons corn oil
    ½ cup sofrito
    ¼ cup tomato sauce
    1 teaspoon salt

1 quart water
    2 teaspoons salt
    Directions

ings.

Ingredients

2 cups white rice
2 tablespoons corn oil
½ cup sofrito
¼ cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt

1 quart water
2 teaspoons salt
Directions

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamsOne
by Jen on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I've never heard of pigeon peas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)