Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Multi-Melon

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:00 AM
  • 17 Replies

http://www.whataboutwatermelon.com/index.php/2010/04/california-scientists-create-first-multi-colored-watermelon/

Watermelon is a fruit that has been around for more than 2,000 years, and although truly new developments in how it’s grown are rare, they’re not unheard of. Several decades ago, the seedless watermelon was created thanks to the miracles of cross pollination. And, in the past decade, Japanese farmers have found a way to create watermelons shaped like squares and pyramids using molds to coax the watermelon into various forms while it grows.

Beyond that, the watermelon as we know it has remained virtually unchanged: a round or oblong fruit/vegetable with a sweet, red (or sometimes yellow) interior. But that all changed recently in a laboratory/greenhouse in San Jose, CA, when botanists, with the help of biologists from several area universities, were able to produce the first watermelon with a multicolored interior. Pictured below is one of the first watermelons grown using the new method.

MultiColerWatermelon-3

By altering the structure of the carotenes and carotenoid pigments in the watermelon, the group was able to “reprogram” the watermelon’s genetic code to create a product with flesh in various hues based on a simple input in the first two weeks of the watermelon’s growth cycle. According to researchers, although the watermelon may look vastly different on the inside, the actual taste and nutritional benefits of the fruit remain unchanged.

The watermelons were grown in a controlled indoor environment between October 2009 and March 2010. For now, the experiment is limited to around 50 watermelons, but the researchers hope to perfect the technique over the next year in time for a large-scale, outdoor trial at a 100-acre farm near Sacramento, CA, in 2011 and have the multicolored watermelons – which they expect to sell for virtually the same price as regular watermelons – in select stores nationwide later that year.

What do you think?
Would you give it a try?

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I came across this article on a search for watermelon pics....It is interesting to see other than red there....lol....I think I would try it for interest.

floating in pool

Kimberly954
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Um, it kind of freaks me out a bit!

goddess99
by Michelle on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Interesting, and I eat watermelon almost everyday but this doesn't look good to me.

IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Interesting

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM

It is different to not see that red there...lol

Quoting Kimberly954:

HopefulMommy89
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Same here! It looks moldy to me :(

Quoting Kimberly954:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM

It just doesn't look right. I'd try it though.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I would try it too....would be interested to see if the taste is the same like they said it would be for the regular watermelon.

Quoting OliviaW.:

It just doesn't look right. I'd try it though.

floating in pool

jjamom
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I would think it was bad if I cut into one and saw that, lol. Interesting...
KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

thats pretty cool! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)