Today's Recipe - Sweet & Super Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies
Now that it's summer, it's time for ice cream sandwiches! These have become all the rage where I live. Everyone is selling their own version -- ice cream sandwiches the size of my head for an outrageous sum (six dollars for what?!?). And it kind of makes me think, couldn't I just make my own? It's just ice cream between two cookies!
Of course you can make your own. There are a few tricks to it, but it's pretty easy. Especially if you use graham crackers! Any ice cream flavor works with these. Here's how to make these ice cream sandwiches.
Graham Cracker Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1/2 gallon ice cream, softened
- 20 graham crackers
- Sprinkles or mini chocolate chips, optional
- Line a 9 by 13 baking sheet with waxed paper -- long enough so the waxed paper hangs over the sides of the pan. Spread softened ice cream evenly over the pan, smooth over the top, and freeze for at least an hour.
- Take ice cream out of freezer. Run a knife along the sides to loosen from pan and then gently lift out using the waxed paper. Using the graham crackers as a template, cut out pieces of ice cream that fit the crackers. (If you have kitchen shears, you can snip them out.) If your ice cream starts melting, put it back into the freezer ASAP!
- Build your sandwiches. If you want, dip the sides into mini chocolate chips or sprinkles. Wrap each sandwich in cling wrap immediately after building and put them into the freezer so they keep their shape. Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.