Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week, July 8: Nutella

Posted by   + Show Post

Nutella  is the brand name of a chocolate hazelnut spread. Nutella, manufactured by the Italian company Ferrero, was introduced on the market in 1963. The recipe was developed from an earlier Ferrero spread released in 1944. Nutella is now sold in over 75 countries.

An older recipe, Gianduja, was a mixture containing approximately 50% almond and/or hazelnut paste and 50% chocolate. It was developed in Piedmont, Italy, after taxes on cocoa beans hindered the manufacture and distribution of conventional chocolate.

Pietro Ferrero, who owned a patisserie in Alba, in the Langhe district of Piedmont, an area known for the production of hazelnuts, sold an initial batch of 300 kilograms (660 lb) of "Pasta Gianduja" in 1946. This was originally a solid block, but in 1949, Pietro started to sell a creamy version in 1951 as "Supercrema".

In 1963, Pietro's son Michele revamped Supercrema with the intention of marketing it across Europe. Its composition was modified and it was renamed "Nutella". The first jar of Nutella left the Ferrero factory in Alba on 20 April 1964. The product was an instant success and remains widely popular.

Do you like Nutella? How do you use it?

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:23 AM
Replies (81-86):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Great ideas. Thanks

Quoting gma12.1:

I had never tried it until a couple of months ago. My kids love it, I use it as a dip for my apples, the kids like it on toast, also some dinner rolls, biscuits, and fancy breads taste almost like a donut when you spread Nutella on them. One kid likes to mix Nutella into her oatmeal. 

LOVES67
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:06 PM

yes, love it use it for many thing.. sandwich, pastry, for dipping fruit..

Tam_and_Fam
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Quoting thebailiffs:

I made this pie last year at Thanksgiving and everyone went crazy

http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_party/128875/nutella_pecan_pie

that sounds awesome, and I have most of the ingredients (though I will cheat and buy a pie crust lol).  I am going to make that this weekend!!!!  When I use nutella in sweet treats I feel almost healthy lol.

epoh
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 7:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I actually ate this after the kids went to bed last night. I dipped pretzels in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
enjoys_names
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Quoting ivy801:

I'm dissapointed in the lack of yummy pictures I expected to see bad

XpectTwins92808
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM
I dont like it but my kids do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)