Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ingredient of the Week, July 8: Nutella

Posted by   + Show Post

Nutella  is the brand name of a chocolate hazelnut spread. Nutella, manufactured by the Italian company Ferrero, was introduced on the market in 1963. The recipe was developed from an earlier Ferrero spread released in 1944. Nutella is now sold in over 75 countries.

An older recipe, Gianduja, was a mixture containing approximately 50% almond and/or hazelnut paste and 50% chocolate. It was developed in Piedmont, Italy, after taxes on cocoa beans hindered the manufacture and distribution of conventional chocolate.

Pietro Ferrero, who owned a patisserie in Alba, in the Langhe district of Piedmont, an area known for the production of hazelnuts, sold an initial batch of 300 kilograms (660 lb) of "Pasta Gianduja" in 1946. This was originally a solid block, but in 1949, Pietro started to sell a creamy version in 1951 as "Supercrema".

In 1963, Pietro's son Michele revamped Supercrema with the intention of marketing it across Europe. Its composition was modified and it was renamed "Nutella". The first jar of Nutella left the Ferrero factory in Alba on 20 April 1964. The product was an instant success and remains widely popular.

Do you like Nutella? How do you use it?

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:23 AM
Replies (41-50):
ivy801
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I'm dissapointed in the lack of yummy pictures I expected to see bad

mrsdic
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this

1/4 cup nutella, 1/4 cup peanut butter, 1 mashed banana all mixed together, make it grilled cheese style.... makes 2 or 3 sandwiches. 

tinkerbellbay
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Love the stuff. First tried it in Germany
Cafe Amanda
by Group Admin on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Is it really healthier? I mean, it's a lot of sugar and fat really. Delicious, yes! Healthy? Not so much. :) Also, you'd want to check abut nut allergies too (unless you have already).

I'd do a cream cheese frosting for those - they sound delicious! The flavor of the Nutella might overpower them anyway, health aside.

Quoting HadnKmom:

how do you think nutella as frosting on apple spice cupcakes would taste? i have to make something healthy-ish for a treat for dd's class for her birthday so i am making apple spice cupcakes and nutella is MUCH healthier than frosting so what do you all think? (i think that is the first time i typed out you all instead of just saying yall...look i did it again.)

Cafe Amanda
by Group Admin on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Well then. Pictures, you say?

Nutella Cake:

Nutella Tart:

Nutella Gelato:

And what may be the one I will try baking, Peanut Butter Nutella Cookie Cups:

Quoting ivy801:

I'm dissapointed in the lack of yummy pictures I expected to see bad

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

my daughter loves it, I think its ok but would not go out of my way to buy it

marcyb24
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

We like to eat it with graham crackers for a snack! :)

Paigesmommy78
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM

that stuff gross me out so bad i can't even smell it

Tam_and_Fam
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:14 PM

awesome, I am going to check now.  And no worries about it not being clicky, I'm on my comp so I'm just cutting and pasting lol. 

Quoting KMadsen:

www.mybakingaddiction.com/no-bake-nutella-cheesecake-recipe/

That's where I got the receipe from. I can't make it clicky though :/ The recipe says to divide into for cheesecakes but I just make onw big one :)

Quoting Tam_and_Fam:

could you share the recipe on how you make it?  I would love to try it and I think my son would LOVE it!

Quoting KMadsen:

It's soooo good! I usually make no-bake nutella cheesecake.

2teens2LOs
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM

with toast or strawberries

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)