Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Crockpot Ideas Worth it or Not

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello

I am new to this group but an old member of CafeMom, I just do not use it much. Anyway, Im a single working mom of a 4 1/2 year old little girl.  My issue is school is starting back (I'm a teacher) and I really want to do better this year with cooking. I'm a great cook, but I don't have a lot of time during the school year.  My schedule is as such:

I wake at 5:30 - 5:45am

Im out the house 6:30

I drop my daughter off at daycare (this year she is going to school)

I get off at 3:15 if there is no meeting, but I sometimes leave no later than 3:45pm

I pick my daughter up by 4pm

I normally stop by the house for a quick snack

On Mon, Tues and Thur I go to the gym at 5:30 for workout class and we are back home around 6:45pm

Well on those days, I normally go to a Cafe or Subway or somewhere to get us dinner because its so late, Im tired and normally have work to do once I get home.

I spend an estimated $30-$40 a week eating out because of time.  I really want to cook and want to invest in a crock pot however most of the meals are 5-6 hours.  I need something atleast 10 hrs.  I work 15 min from my home so I can come home and cut it off in before going to the gym.

Or any other suggestions on what i can do for meals.  Thank you!

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KamsOne
by Jen on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

It is definitely worth it!!!

There are lots of crock pot meals that can cook all day (10 - 12 hours).  Or they also make programmable crock pots where you can program them to cook for only so many hours and then they turn themselves to the "warm" setting.  Or there are ones that you can set to turn on at a certain time.  So they are definitely worth investing in.  But you might want to shop around and find one that is right for you.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Tam_and_Fam
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

i think it's worth it.  Many 5 hr recipes are cooked on high.  If you cook them on low they can be around 8-10 hrs.  The great thing is there are so many different recipes out there now for slow cookers, with all different ingredients.

Kimberly954
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I have a crockpot that you set the timer...high or low for X hrs and then when its done it switches to warm. You might want to invest in one of those!

Kimberly954
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Chicken I have found if overcooked dries out and beef becomes tough. Can you come home at lunch to turn it on??? Probably not huh? Teachers usually dont have that much "free time". I bet something like a whole chicken would take awhile to cook. I also put my chicken in frozen so it doesnt overcook.

Another idea which I am now loving....on the weekends make a couple extra meals and freeze so that when you get home at night all you have to do is pop it in the oven for 30 minutes and not worry about it.

Kimberly954
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Oh, i thought of one!!! Throw a pork butt into the crockpot with 1/2 a can of coke or some beef broth. Cook on low all day. When you get home, drain the meat, shred and pour on the bbq sauce! BBQ shredded pork sandwiches! One of our favorites. When i have leftovers, i just put that in a freezer bag for another day. Then heat and eat!

virgo_goddess
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Quoting Tam_and_Fam:

i think it's worth it.  Many 5 hr recipes are cooked on high.  If you cook them on low they can be around 8-10 hrs.  The great thing is there are so many different recipes out there now for slow cookers, with all different ingredients.

periwinkle163
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I think it would be worth it, you can find a pretty decent crockpot for a reasonable price easily. Just make sure you cook on low.

SuperWoman8
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I love crock pots! I t hink they are totally worth it!

I put in chicken breasts with water and chicken bouillon to add to other things like noodles. if you are really in a rush, you can get things like frozen meatballs, french bread and sliced meats to make your own sandwiches.

frozen buritoes and french fries can work too. I just have to watch these because they make my clothes shrink if I eat too many!

pampire
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with what's already been said.  I would also suggest that you get a pressure cooker (they're totally safe now, unlike the scary contraption our grandmas had).  It can make stuff that would take two hours tak half that or even less.

When I'm working I'll do a few hours of prep cooking on Sunday and have most of the work done so I can put dinner together in 30 minutes or less.  Check out Rachael Ray's cookbooks.  She gets a lot of flack for some reason but she really does make good meals in 30 minutes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)