Today's Recipe - Heavenly Homemade Orange Dreamsicles
Nothing says summer like a popsicle ... or ice cream. How can one be forced to make up their minds between the two? Thankfully, some genius came up with the idea of a Creamsicle or Dreamsicle -- creamy vanilla ice cream (or ice milk) hidden beneath a layer of tart and sweet orange popsicle. Who doesn't have awesome childhood memories of this treat? Heaven!
But know what's even more heavenly? The homemade version of this classic treat, which is surprisingly simple -- and fun! -- to whip together. Check it out ...
Homemade Dreamsicles from MrsHappyHomemaker.com
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 drops orange essential oil or orange extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Stir the orange juice & honey together in a saucepan & cook over medium heat until reduced by about half.
- Allow the OJ/honey mixture to cool to room temperature. (You can also put it in the freezer to hurry it along.)
- Whisk the egg yolks, heavy cream, whole milk, orange oil/extract & vanilla extract together until well combined. Mix in the orange juice/honey syrup.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze. If you don't have any, you can always use Dixie cups instead.