Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Stuffed Manicotti vs Stuffed Shells

SlightlyPerfect
5 nominations, and my answer is still no.
Yesterday at 9:03 AM
Posted by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:14 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Tonight I was going to make stuffed shells, but last night manicotti was on sale. I've never worked with this pasta before. For a filling, can I make the same one I'd use for shells (like ricotta, an egg, and herbs)? Or do I need to make it thicker? Thinner? Any suggestions for a good, tried-and-true stuffed manicotti recipe?

Plus, we're going to the farmers market, so I can get some fresh veggies on the side, so I could put anything in the stuffing, too.

slightlyperfect

by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Have not tried this before....hope it works out for you...

floating in pool

mjimaging
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Stuffed manicotti is tougher but it's just the delivery. You can use the same filling you just have to get it in there. I think I read a piping bag works well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimedbs
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd go a little thicker with the filling, since it's more prone to leak out than with shells.  Spinach is a nice addition to the filling for thickening, added nutrition, and taste.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I use a piping bag, and the same filling. No piping bag? You can use a freezer ziplock bag with a corner cut off. Fresh spinach is a good addition.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM

don't know but I hope it turns out nice for you. The pic looks yummy!

HyperMom38
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I stuff mine with meat filling-  ground beef, onions, green peppers, garlic, italian seasoning all browned together in a pan.  I par boil the noodles, stuff them using a spoon and then I cover them with tomato sauce.  I bake them for about 1/2 hour until the sauce is bubbling and serve them with either grated parmesan or mozerella on top.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 1:10 PM
I use the exact same filling for manicotti as I do for stuffed shells. One trick, if you have a pastry bag, it makes filling them up a lot quicker and easier, just use a tip with a wide enough opening so that it comes out easy.
Kimberly954
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I have never made manicotti but if i did, i would use the same filling as my stuffed shells.

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Oh, see, I was gonna do a meat sauce! Maybe I'll put that right into the filling then. Thanks!

Quoting HyperMom38:

I stuff mine with meat filling-  ground beef, onions, green peppers, garlic, italian seasoning all browned together in a pan.  I par boil the noodles, stuff them using a spoon and then I cover them with tomato sauce.  I bake them for about 1/2 hour until the sauce is bubbling and serve them with either grated parmesan or mozerella on top.

slightlyperfect

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Great idea! Thanks.

Quoting Kimedbs:

I'd go a little thicker with the filling, since it's more prone to leak out than with shells.  Spinach is a nice addition to the filling for thickening, added nutrition, and taste.

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)