frozen chocolate muffinsFrankly, I'm in a state of semi-shock. I just don't understand how it can possibly be that I've never seen, baked, or tasted Frozen Chocolate Muffins before. It's not like I'm a kid (I'm not saying I'm old or anything, but still).

I mean to say, I'm not some babe in the baked goods woods whose knowledge of chocolate is limited to bars and brownies. In fact, I consider myself to be something of a cocoa connoisseur. So I have no idea why I'm just finding out about FROZEN CHOCOLATE MUFFINS (!!!) now, but better late than never, I guess. And in the middle of a heat wave, too!

Who needs ice cream?!

Frozen Chocolate Muffins

Note: (If you, like me, are hopeless when it comes to converting metric to U.S. measurements, try this handy calculator.)

Base: 
2 eggs 
275 g sugar
100 g butter 
1 tsp vanilla sugar 
1 tsp flaky sea salt 
3 tbsp cocoa powder
90 g all-purpose flour

Filling: 
100 g margarine
4 tbsp sugar
2 tsp flour or cornstarch
4 tsp cocoa powder
100 ml cream (35-40% fat content)
100 ml milk

Beat eggs and sugar with electric beaters until very fluffy. Add cocoa powder and vanilla sugar. Melt the butter, and stir into the batter. Finally add in salt and flour. Pour into a lined muffin pan, making sure you don't fill the cavities all the way up. Bake for about 15 minutes at 350°F. Remove from the oven and watch them cave in completely as they cool.

Melt the margarine with the sugar and cocoa. Whisk in the flour, and add cream and milk. Bring to a boil, and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes until it thickens a bit. Let the mixture cool slightly, and then pour into the muffin tins. Let them cool a bit, and then freeze the whole thing.