Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Our new house has hardwood in the kitchen. I've had hardwood in a kitchen before, and that hardwood seemed to deteriorate around the sink and fridge faster than anywhere else. (It was already damaged when we bought the house.) This is brand-new hardwood the sellers put in before moving. I really don't want what happened in my previous house to happen in this new house.

Is there any special way to care for hardwood in a kitchen to prevent that kind of deterioration?

slightlyperfect

by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Replies (11-15):
gmadiane
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM

BUMP!

Kimberly954
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM

No idea. Always had tile kitchens.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 10:27 PM
I have hardwood in the kitchen (Bruce hardwood flooring) and I live it. I've had it for 10 years. And it has held up really well. I have a rug between the sink and the center island behind it where my stove top is. That has probably helped to protect the floors there. Near the pantry and the fridge, there are some nicks in the floor (more like small indentations really, where cans or things like that have fallen. But, they haven't been bad enough nicks to remove the stain of the wood.

I like them a lot more than the linoleum I had in my last house.

I just read over the other comments too. I have never had an issue with the flooring under the rug I have near my sink/dishwasher, but it never really gets very wet. I will say that in my foyer, I have had some fading of my floors and when I move the rug to mop, I can see the difference in the color underneath the rug vs, around it, but that is due to an abundance of sunlight into our foyer.
TheMrs407
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Ours seems to do fine (20+ years old).  Do you have a kitchen mat near sink?

mckinneymom918
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM

we have hardwoods in the kitchen, and throughout most of our main floor. the hardwoods were put in when we built the house 10 years ago. it has the original poly, i'm assuming the poly acts as a sort of sealant, but we have never applied anything to the floors. i KEEP a rug at the sink and at the front door all the time, during the winter, i keep a rug at the back door as well as a runner through the hall in front of the door into the house from the garage.  maybe once every 2 months (when i just can't stand it any longer!!), i clean them with hot water, pinesol, and a squirt of dawn, on my hands and knees. in the in between, i vaccuum them with the beater bar on my dyson turned off.  i have no signs of wear. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN