Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I hard boiled my eggs this morning (they weren't over boiled or anything).  I cooled them off when I was done, and I cracked them while they were cooling.  The issue that I run into very often is that my egg comes off with the peel when I peel it.  One peeled really nice, one lost it's top and one peeled okay.  3 eggs from the same carton, cooked the same etc.

The reason I crack the egg when it is in the cool water is because I read in a magazine (can't remember the exact one so I won't say which) that if you crack an egg while it is in the cold water it will peel easily without the  egg breaking off.  I do this often, and to be honest, I don't see much of a difference.

So my question is do any of you ladies have any secret or technique you can share with me to not lose my egg when I peel it?  Thanks :)

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
Tam_and_Fam
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Quoting SweetLuci:

Start with eggs that have been refrigerated for several days (more than a week is best). NEW EGGS WILL NOT PEEL EASILY.

Place the eggs in a pot of COLD water. Be sure there is at least an inch of water above the top of each egg. Place the pot with the eggs and water over high heat until the water comes to a full boil. IMMEDIATELY take the pot off the heat and cover with a tightly-fitting lid. The eggs will cook from the heat of the water. The eggs do not need to be, and should not be, boiled. Overcooking eggs causes the iron in the yolk and the sulfur in the white to combine, and this is what makes that ugly greenish color around the yolk.

Let the eggs sit in the pan in the hot water for 12 minutes for medium eggs, 15 minutes for large eggs and 18 minutes for extra large eggs. This timing is very important.

Drain the eggs and fill the pot with cold water. I like to empty and re-fill the pot several times to make sure the heat of the eggs doesn’t heat the water back up again. You can also put ice cubes in the water. The water should be very cold. Letting the eggs sit in the cold water until the eggs are completely cooled helps the papery membrane stick to the shell, instead of to the egg, and makes the egg easier to peel.

To peel the eggs, gently tap the large end of the egg against a hard surface like your kitchen counter, or use the back of a spoon. This should crack the shell. Turn the egg and crack the egg all over. Roll between your hands. The shell should peel off very easily.

thank you thank you thank you!  I am going to try your way, but one thing I realized right away that I am doing wrong (and I bet that is my problem usually).  Is that most time my water does not cover the egg completely.  Ususally a little bit is sticking out.  Or if I do put water it is just covering them.  There is never an inch of water over them!!!!  I am definitely going to try your way though.  Thanks a lot :)

Tam_and_Fam
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Quoting mommy2b39465:

Quoting Tam_and_Fam:

Quoting mommy2b39465:

It sounds like you are off on the boiling time a little. I can't remember if that happens when you overcook or undercook them, but I THINK it's when you overcook them....try adjusting the time by a minute or so, and see what happens. I usually cook mine for 12, 13 minutes.

mine are definitely not over cooked.  I boil my eggs for 7 minutes.  Anything too much over that starts to turn the yellow into that greenish/yellow color, and they start to taste rubbery.  When I cook them  the yellows are bright and firm, not watery, so I am pretty sure they aren't under cooked either.

that's odd....if I cooked mine for 7 minutes they would still be liquid in the center......actually, I've cooked them for 10 minutes before and the egg whites are barely cooked and the yellows are still slightly liquid. Maybe we are doing different sizes? I usually use large size eggs. 

Anyway, i always seem to have that problem when it hasn't been cooked the proper amount of time. I can still make deviled eggs, but they aren't going to look pretty!  :)

hmm, that is really strange, and I use large eggs too.  I have cooked them that way with an electric and a gas stove as well.  But I was thinking, do you add the eggs when the water starts to boil?  Or do you put them in the water and wait for the eggs to boil?  I put mine in the water and then when the water boils I start to time it.

tna7477
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

make sure to cool completely they will peel very nicely!

mommy2b39465
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Quoting Tam_and_Fam:

Quoting mommy2b39465:

Quoting Tam_and_Fam:

Quoting mommy2b39465:

It sounds like you are off on the boiling time a little. I can't remember if that happens when you overcook or undercook them, but I THINK it's when you overcook them....try adjusting the time by a minute or so, and see what happens. I usually cook mine for 12, 13 minutes.

mine are definitely not over cooked.  I boil my eggs for 7 minutes.  Anything too much over that starts to turn the yellow into that greenish/yellow color, and they start to taste rubbery.  When I cook them  the yellows are bright and firm, not watery, so I am pretty sure they aren't under cooked either.

that's odd....if I cooked mine for 7 minutes they would still be liquid in the center......actually, I've cooked them for 10 minutes before and the egg whites are barely cooked and the yellows are still slightly liquid. Maybe we are doing different sizes? I usually use large size eggs. 

Anyway, i always seem to have that problem when it hasn't been cooked the proper amount of time. I can still make deviled eggs, but they aren't going to look pretty!  :)

hmm, that is really strange, and I use large eggs too.  I have cooked them that way with an electric and a gas stove as well.  But I was thinking, do you add the eggs when the water starts to boil?  Or do you put them in the water and wait for the eggs to boil?  I put mine in the water and then when the water boils I start to time it.

I've done it both ways, lol. You know, that might even be something to try....letting it heat up then putting them in. You might get different results....I've done that and had no problems, but I've been told that doing it this way can make the shells break. However, I've let them heat up with the water and had the shells break on me too. 

Have you googled this? Seems to me that there should be something out there on not making the shells stick to the eggs, lol.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Quoting Tam_and_Fam:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Start with eggs that have been refrigerated for several days (more than a week is best). NEW EGGS WILL NOT PEEL EASILY.

Place the eggs in a pot of COLD water. Be sure there is at least an inch of water above the top of each egg. Place the pot with the eggs and water over high heat until the water comes to a full boil. IMMEDIATELY take the pot off the heat and cover with a tightly-fitting lid. The eggs will cook from the heat of the water. The eggs do not need to be, and should not be, boiled. Overcooking eggs causes the iron in the yolk and the sulfur in the white to combine, and this is what makes that ugly greenish color around the yolk.

Let the eggs sit in the pan in the hot water for 12 minutes for medium eggs, 15 minutes for large eggs and 18 minutes for extra large eggs. This timing is very important.

Drain the eggs and fill the pot with cold water. I like to empty and re-fill the pot several times to make sure the heat of the eggs doesn’t heat the water back up again. You can also put ice cubes in the water. The water should be very cold. Letting the eggs sit in the cold water until the eggs are completely cooled helps the papery membrane stick to the shell, instead of to the egg, and makes the egg easier to peel.

To peel the eggs, gently tap the large end of the egg against a hard surface like your kitchen counter, or use the back of a spoon. This should crack the shell. Turn the egg and crack the egg all over. Roll between your hands. The shell should peel off very easily.

thank you thank you thank you!  I am going to try your way, but one thing I realized right away that I am doing wrong (and I bet that is my problem usually).  Is that most time my water does not cover the egg completely.  Ususally a little bit is sticking out.  Or if I do put water it is just covering them.  There is never an inch of water over them!!!!  I am definitely going to try your way though.  Thanks a lot :)

I never have any trouble when I follow all these steps. Check back and let us know if this works for you.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM

This is what I do.

Quoting lillucky8:

Usually i put then strait from the hot water into cool water to cool, then when i crack and peel them i may run them under water again and the peel usually comes off easily

Mamabear5760
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM
I always put some viniger in the water it works wonderful...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KittyGram
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Make sure the eggs you're using are TOO fresh.  Sounds odd, but the newer the egg, the harder it is to peel.

I pour lots of salt into the water as it's boiling.  I'm not sure it really helps, but I've read that it does.  Also, vinegar supposedly helps. 

Another thing is to use a spoon when peeling.  Start to peel it, then slip the spoon in there, between the egg and the membrane.  This one DOES work for me!!! 

KittyGram
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Reading all of the different responses, and seeing all kinds of different advice, I started wondering what the "experts" do.  So I googled it, and here are what two of my favorite people have to say.  Sadly, my volume doesn't work on this computer, but since I trust both of them very much, I'm going to go ahead and pass along the info without listening to it myself!!!

First my FAVORITE favorite - well, it's actually Jamie, but since it's on Paula's site, I guess she agrees, right???  http://www.pauladeen.com/videos/single/boil_the_perfect_egg/

And Martha says:   http://www.marthastewart.com/354061/perfect-hard-boiled-eggs

Tam_and_Fam
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting Tam_and_Fam:

Quoting SweetLuci:

I never have any trouble when I follow all these steps. Check back and let us know if this works for you.

I tried this today, I followed every step and still had some trouble.  I cooked 3 eggs, 2 peeled well.  But one I couldn't even get the membrane off the egg at all, no matter what I did, a little piece would come off and that was it.  I ended up loosing probably 3/4 of the white.  Maybe I am just egg inept! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)