Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Shrimp Bisque

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM
  • 7 Replies
2 moms liked this

OK, the prep on this is a little longer than I was anticipating, but its currently simmering on my stove! Wanted to share because it smells pretty good!

Shrimp Bisque

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons EVOO
  • 1 pound medium shell-on raw shrimp
  • Salt
  • 4 large sprigs thyme
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • Cayenne
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 2 tablespoons long-grain rice
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, heat 2 tbsp, EVOO over high heat. Add the shrimp, season with salt and cook, stirring, until pink and firm, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a medium bowl and let cool slightly. peel the shrimp and transfer to a clean bowl. Return the shells to the pot. Add 8 cups water and 3 sprigs thyme, bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 2- minutes. Strain the broth into a large glass measuring cup, pressing on the shells to extract any juices; discard the shells.
  2. Add the onion, celery and remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO to the pot; season with salt and a pinch of cayenne. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste then the wine. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid is almost evaporated. Add the shrimp, broth and rice. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat, skimming occasionally, until the rice is cooked, about 1 hour.
  3. Remove 6 of the shrimp and slice in half lengthwise; reserve. In a blender, puree the soup with the remaining shrimp in batches; return to the pot. Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Season with more salt and cayenne. Ladle the bisque into bowls; garnish with the reserve shrimp and the remaining thyme.
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Kimberly954
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Verdict: Really good! Even my 2 year old ate it and she doesnt even eat chicken noodle soup!! I was pretty impressed with myself.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Good for you. This is a classical way to make Shrimp Bisque. Though many soups are called Bisque, only those that are thickened with rice should be called Bisque.

Glad you made it. It takes a bit of time, but the result is well worth it.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM
DH would love this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamsOne
by Jen on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Thanks for sharing!

AmosFarkle
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM

This sounds like something I'd love!  Thanks!

periwinkle163
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM

That does look impressive!

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Recipe looks easy:)  Glad it turned out good for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN