Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

meatless recipes for a meat eater (needed)

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM
  • 27 Replies

Okay so my family tends to go easy on the meat (one I don't like it, and two it cuts down on grocery cost).  My dad just moved in and LOVES meat.  He will eat and enjoys spaghetti (but not really other pastas).  He also will eat bean burritos, and he will eat eggs or pancakes for dinner as well.  So I was just wondering what other meatless recipes are out there that I may get my dad to eat  (FYI:  He won't eat tofu or eggplant, so those substitued items won't be any good either).

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimberly954
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this

We are meat eaters and i have a really hard time making something meatless, besides pasta, that my DH will eat. I did buy Bocas meatless crumbles one day and used it in place of ground beef and dh didnt know. So you could be sneaky like that. Otherwise just cut back on the amount of meat you put in a dish. Oh, also, dh not so much but I really like stuffed peppers and those can be made meatless easily.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I have got great review of my black bean veggie burgers from the most meat and potatoes guys I have ever met LOL

http://cookinwithsuperpickle.blogspot.com/2011/01/black-bean-veggie-burgers.html

saltyalley1227
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump for recipes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bibliophile440
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried boca crumbles? My exdh never noticed the difference in spaghetti especially since I added chopped mushrooms in with it. You could make veggie chilli with a couple kinds of beans, or stir fry. There is something else on the tip of my "tongue" but I can't remember right now. Hmm, I'll keep thinking. We don't eat much meat either, but Ds and I don't care.

Tam_and_Fam
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Quoting bibliophile440:

Have you tried boca crumbles? My exdh never noticed the difference in spaghetti especially since I added chopped mushrooms in with it. You could make veggie chilli with a couple kinds of beans, or stir fry. There is something else on the tip of my "tongue" but I can't remember right now. Hmm, I'll keep thinking. We don't eat much meat either, but Ds and I don't care.

oh, chili I forgot about that.  My dad will eat that, and I will try the boca crumble.  I had another meatless crumble (forget the brand) and I mixed it in with regular chopped meat (to make more of our meatloaf).  My dad ate it, and didn't complain so I am guessing he didn't notice.  I guess I can always continue to do that somedays.

Tam_and_Fam
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Quoting SuperPickle:

I have got great review of my black bean veggie burgers from the most meat and potatoes guys I have ever met LOL

http://cookinwithsuperpickle.blogspot.com/2011/01/black-bean-veggie-burgers.html

oh I love black bean burgers.  I will try that recipe.  If my dad don't like it, I am sure I will!!!!

chris13
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Black bean burgers

2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1- 15 oz can  black beans, rinsed and drained
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon cummin
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Saute celery and onion in oil for 3-5 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.

Pour beans into mixing bowls and mash into thick lumpy paste. Add saute vegetables into beans. Mix. Stir in egg, bread crumbs, and seasoning. Mix until combined. Form into 4 patties. Bake on each side for 10 minutes ( 20 minutes cooking time total).

Notes: great with saute mushrooms and cheese. I usually add the cheese to the patties about 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM
2 moms liked this

if you want to stretch on meat-treat it like the Chinese do,more as a condiment rather than main meal. To most meat eaters-as long as there's "some" meat in the meal they're happy. We're meat eaters but when it's tight til next paycheck I stretch meals by adding half of less the amount I normally would. (Like chicken in rice dishes,beef in stir fries,things like that)

chris13
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Baked enchiladas 

4 cans cream of mushroom soup
4 cups milk
2 large onions
2 small cans chopped green chilies
2 pounds grated cheese
4 dozen tortillas  ( corn or flour, your preference)

combine first four ingredients in sauce pan and simmer. Meanwhile heat the tortillas. Put layer on tortillas, layer of cheese, layer of sauce, repeat until all ingredients are used. Bake at  350°F for 30 -45 minutes. Serves 16-20 or 8-10 hungry people.

Kimberly954
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I did try this once......couldnt get DH to eat it. :( Maybe it was the way I made it....

Quoting SuperPickle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)