Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Steak??

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM
  • 11 Replies
I bought sirloin steak this morning. Never did it before. I'm just going to throw them in a pan but I don't know what to season them with or how long they need to be in the pan on each side to be well-done.
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mylilprincesses
by Paula on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:03 PM

i am no help my husband cooks the steaks around here...

mjimaging
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM
It's rare that I dot cook a steak months grill. But you can use a marinade. I often use some lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic and pepper. Sometimes I use a montreal steak seasoning on it. Other times I just google steak marinades and do something new. Lots of options for steaks. I'm no help on well-done. I've never in my life cooked a steak beyond medium.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimberly954
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I usually cook steak on the grill. When i dont, i broil it, couple minutes each side.

ekh2010
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Mmmmmm if you like the steaky taste just s&p if not google marinades or rubs. Or spice it mexican or italian or anyhow. We were gonna hv chkn but now my mouths watering thanks a lot:)

Quoting Kimberly954:

I usually cook steak on the grill. When i dont, i broil it, couple minutes each side.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Sometimes what I'll do in marinade them in Italian dressing and then bake/broil/grill them. To fry them, if you've ever done pork chops it takes about the same time but some sirloins are fattier than other meats.

25mamaof3
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Thank you ladies!
lilpep100
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I make my own seasoning, and everyone loves it! It sounds odd, but please do taste it and you will see it's yummy and tenderizes the streak. 

My rub is about 1 cup of sugar to about 1/2 - 3/4 c of steak salt (or seasoned salt) then about a teaspoon of cayenne. 

I put a hint of  worcestershire   sauce on the meat, then rub a little bit of rub all over it. 

I usually grill mine, but according to Gordon Ramsay, you sear the steak in a pan, then finish it in the oven. I've not tried it like that, but it's what he said on one of his shows. 

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Depends on how thick your steaks are. They can be any where from thin cut to 2 inches thick. They sear quickly so make your sauce first. Warm your 10" skillet on low. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and add 2 tbsp evoo or cooking oil. Heat oil on medium and place you steaks in the pan. Season the steaks on top with s&p or steak seasoning. When they are fully seared one one side, you should be able to swirl them in the pan. Turn them over and cook for the same amount of time.

To check that they are fully cooked in the center and the temp is 160-170F, put a pat of butter (or pat of stick margarine) on the center of each steak while they are still in the skillet. If it melts right away, they are done. If not, let the steaks cook until it does melt. The butter does not change the flavor and some people serve their steak with a butter sauce. If you don't want the butter, you can always use a meat thermometer.

eviesmom453
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Just use sea salt and pepper. Putting a bunch of crap will ruin the taste!

periwinkle163
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I like Montreal steak seasoning, then broil a few minutes on each side.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)