Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Help with breakfast ideas for picky eaters

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:09 PM
  • 18 Replies

DH and I struggle with getting the kids to eat a good breakfast.  Neither of the kids are big on breakfast (don't like to eat first thing in the morning) and during the summer usually won't eat anything until 10:30am at the earliest.  

With school starting next week, we need to get them eating a good breakfast before they leave for school, otherwise they end up starving before lunchtime.   If we left it up to them, they'd eat chicken noodle soup (with the broth drained out) every morning for breakfast, but canned soups have way too much sodium.

DH (bless his heart) would make the kids homemade pancakes and waffles some mornings, but the kids really aren't into that.  They will sometimes eat scrambled eggs and toast.  Or turkey bacon and toast with jam.  They will eat fruit so I like to give them a little of that.  They used to eat yogurt, but now they'll only eat the chocolate kind (and I just can't see giving them that).

As you can see, I'm am out of ideas.  Does anyone have any ideas?

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la1118
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Cereal bars? Fruit smoothies?

I have a picky one too and I also struggle with ideas for a quick, healthy breakfast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I have the same problem.  Have you tried smoothies? French toast strips. Peanut butter toast. Grilled cheese. Banana bread with peanut butter or cream cheese sandwich. Leftover pizza. Muffins. Breakfast cookies. BLT.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

muffins
cheese toast
breakfast wraps

Kimberly954
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd loves her breakfast so thats not an issue....I buy eggos, make muffins, cereal, toast, bagels

not-the-momma
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Quoting SweetLuci:

I have the same problem.  Have you tried smoothies? French toast strips. Peanut butter toast. Grilled cheese. Banana bread with peanut butter or cream cheese sandwich. Leftover pizza. Muffins. Breakfast cookies. BLT.

I haven't tried smoothies, but it can't hurt.  And what exactly are breakfast cookies??

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

We have muffins a lot, I like those because I can make them in advance, we do cinnamon rolls occasionally, we eat a lot of cereal and fruit.

Tam_and_Fam
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM

since I was a kid (and still now that I am 33) I hate breakfast foods in the morning.  I usually eat just regular food.  What are some of the healtier "daytime" foods they eat?  Maybe just have them eat it for breakfast?  I can stomach an egg sandwich for breakfast, but that's about all lol.

corrinacs
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM

The biggest goal of breakfast is to provide them with some early morning calories and SUGAR.  I konw it sounds odd.  But your body wakes up low on blood sugar naturally.  So, breakfast should have a sugar component (notice i didn't say BIG sugar component) as well as carbohydrates.  That's all that needed to get the day going.  You can add fruit if you want, but its not necessary.  You can find other ways to fit in thier fruits and veggies as well.

Some kids aren't into breakfast.  Caden isn't....he'd rather eat cereal every morning LOL

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM
What about breakfast burritos?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:02 PM

pumpkin muffins

cereal

peanut butter toast

This is about all my dd eats for breakfast. Hope you find something they will like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)