Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Help with breakfast ideas for picky eaters

Posted by   + Show Post

DH and I struggle with getting the kids to eat a good breakfast.  Neither of the kids are big on breakfast (don't like to eat first thing in the morning) and during the summer usually won't eat anything until 10:30am at the earliest.  

With school starting next week, we need to get them eating a good breakfast before they leave for school, otherwise they end up starving before lunchtime.   If we left it up to them, they'd eat chicken noodle soup (with the broth drained out) every morning for breakfast, but canned soups have way too much sodium.

DH (bless his heart) would make the kids homemade pancakes and waffles some mornings, but the kids really aren't into that.  They will sometimes eat scrambled eggs and toast.  Or turkey bacon and toast with jam.  They will eat fruit so I like to give them a little of that.  They used to eat yogurt, but now they'll only eat the chocolate kind (and I just can't see giving them that).

As you can see, I'm am out of ideas.  Does anyone have any ideas?

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Replies (11-18):
mylilprincesses
by Paula on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM

dry cereal

Fruit bars

Granola Bars

Smoothies

Nutella Toast

i have a extremely picky two yr old and she love Nutella. :)

KamsOne
by Jen on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM

If they are not into breakfast food, why not let them eat other food for breakfast.  Heat up some leftovers.  Let them have a sandwich.  How about ham & cheese quesadillas? 

KamsOne
by Jen on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Do they eat peanut butter?  How about sliced apples dipped in peanut butter?

How about toast with peanut butter and smashed bananas? 

Taradlc
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Apples dipped in pb or yogurt. Or maybe apples with cheese. English muffins topped with honey, jam or pb.

I sometimes make smoothies for my dd... I blend yogurt, milk and frozen fruit. Or sometimes milk, a banana and a spoonful of peanut butter blended with ice.

Breakfast burrito...scrambled eggs and cheese wrapped up in a flour tortilla. Heck, I've even made dd a pb and j sandwich out of toast.

Just get creative. Breakfast is an important part of the day.

Quoting KamsOne:

JocelynsMama1
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM

do you have a problem with cereal? or do they like it? My daughter loves strawberry mini wheats which are pretty healthy and quick....she also used to be not big on eating early but shes doing better with it good luck

JocelynsMama1
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Also you could try smoothies...around here we love them ....ive never use them in place of a meal for dd but im sure you could just make sure you use fruits in it and just a few ice cubes then juice or milk or yogurt as a base to liquify it....i jsut got a new kids cook book for easy lunch box ideas...if you interested it has 4 smoothie recipes just let me know if you want them....one is even a green smoothie that uses spinach or kale...i havent tried it yet but i plan on it....my dd doesnt like to eat as many veggies as she should so im hoping its delicious and fun for her :)

xxMocahFrappxx
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM
This and hey OP maybe Oatmeal with fruit in it or Carnation Instant Breakfast sometimes? It comes in different flavors.

My daughter is very picky and we have been recommended to keep her on Pediasure (by her pediatrician), we dont give it to her in the mornings tho. Liquid-wise this could be a second option in addition to food
Quoting Taradlc:

Apples dipped in pb or yogurt. Or maybe apples with cheese. English muffins topped with honey, jam or pb.

I sometimes make smoothies for my dd... I blend yogurt, milk and frozen fruit. Or sometimes milk, a banana and a spoonful of peanut butter blended with ice.

Breakfast burrito...scrambled eggs and cheese wrapped up in a flour tortilla. Heck, I've even made dd a pb and j sandwich out of toast.

Quoting KamsOne:

Quoting Taradlc:

Quoting KamsOne:

Do they eat peanut butter?���  How about sliced apples dipped in peanut butter?

How about toast with peanut butter and smashed bananas?��� 

��� 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
not-the-momma
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM

THANK YOU for all the great ideas!!!   The kids are not big on cereal (unless its the chocolate or high sucrose kind) and I just can't see that being a real good thing for them.  I'd rather they get their sugar from natural sources like fruit or honey.  I'm going to try the smoothies, but they're not big on yogurt, but maybe they'll like them this way.  Wish me luck!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)