Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Today's Recipe - Explosively Good Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM
  • 15 Replies

Explosively Good Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on September 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM

chocolate chip lava cookiesThese chocolate chip lava cookies are so much more than just cookies. In fact, Jen over at Juanita's Cocina who shared this recipe calls them NON-cookies, because the term cookie just doesn't do justice to their awesomeness.

While they have many of the makings of traditional chocolate chip cookies, the ooey, gooey chocolaty addition in the middle makes them volcanically delicious. You bake them up in muffin pans so that they're thicker than regular cookies, and oh boy do they ever explode in your mouth.

My only hesitation with this recipe is that it only makes 10 cookies. That's definitely not enough, so I recommend doubling it ... at least.

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed tightly
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 Tbs. vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, divided

Preheat the oven to 350 and spray the muffin cups in a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Place 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips into a plastic ziploc bag and seal the bag shut. Arrange the chocolate chips so that they're positioned in one layer within the bag. Laying the bag flat in the microwave, heat the chocolate chips for 30 seconds. Turn the bag over and heat for an additional 15-20 seconds or until the chips are completely melted. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, using a hand mixer, cream the butter and both sugars in a large bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Add in the flour, salt, and baking soda and mix until just combined. Fold in the remaining cup of chocolate chips.

Using half of the cookie dough, scoop 1 1/2-2 Tbs. of dough, flatten it into a small disk, and place it in the bottom of a muffin cup. (You should get 10 cookies out of the mix.) Cut a small tip off of the ziploc bag and squeeze a bit of the melted chocolate over the cookie. Scoop out another disk of cookie dough and cover the melted chocolate, forming a sandwich in each muffin cup.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges are just brown and the top appears done. As soon as you remove the cookies from the oven, run a knife around the edges of the cookie to loosen. Allow to cool completely before serving.

When serving, you can also microwave the cookie for 15 seconds in order to remelt the middle of the cookie and warm it through.

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM

yummy!!

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM

omg eating

Kimberly954
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Um, i think i might make these now....i have all the stuff for them! :)

5kids4thismom
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Wow, those look good. Will definitely try these soon!

Kimberly954
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine made 11 muffin tins full (no, i didnt just eat one!) Its definitely 1/2 TEASPOON vanilla, not 1/2 TBSP.

KamsOne
by Jen on Sep. 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM

YUM!!!  I love that they are made in a muffin tin!

specialwingz
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Oh...Y...U...M!!!!

Kimberly954
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 7:23 PM

My family is a fan!

epoh
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Awesome :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM

So how did they taste?

Quoting Kimberly954:

Mine made 11 muffin tins full (no, i didnt just eat one!) Its definitely 1/2 TEASPOON vanilla, not 1/2 TBSP.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)