Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Dinner Bootcamp: A Gourmet Meal, Even with Dietary Restrictions!

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 17 Replies

Sure, this dinner sounds pretty fancy, but the truth is it's not that tricky to make - and best of all, it's a meal this whole family can enjoy together. And that's no small feat, since it has to be nut-free, dairy-free, gluten-free AND pass a picky eater's taste test!

Are there any food restrictions in your family? How do you work around them?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I have a family with a TON of food restrictions.  Not to get one anyone's case, burt when ppl say "my kid can't have anything because he's in a class with a child who can't have panuts".  I just chuckle...

Try a kid who can't have rice, shellfish, fish, peanuts, treenuts, eggs, beans (legumes), sesame seeds, coconut, and I'm probably forgetting a few.  Yet, he's the best eater on the planet :) :). 

Mainly, it takes some homework I will admit.  And at first its ahrd when you have an allergic kid becuase theyk now what they like......and its not always easy to change their diet.....worst of all many of them also have associated food with pain.....so food aversion is the trickiest part of all.

For us, we got over the whole "everyone eats the same thing" real quick.  I've got a host of my food allergies and my infant son too.....so when he gets this age, i'll be cooking 3 meals!!!  Not because I like it, per se.....but because I have to.  Of course, leaving out anaphalacitc ingredients out of everyone's diet, its teh best way my family has managed to stay healthy :).

Secondly, I have become a pro at reading labels.  At first I spent hours in teh grocery store reading every lable....now its a walk in the park.  Stick to organic foods or all natural foods.... the lists are a lot shorter :).  Also, when you find a brand that works, you stick with it.  But be sure to check the label regardless as formulations do change.

And thirdly....become creative in the kitchen.  I have learned to cook 3 meals at thes ame time.  I have also become a pro at making lunches easier as well :).  Plan ahead of time for everyone, make your list for the store and have a ton of stuff on hand :).

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM

My middle son is gluten restricted(not entirely gluten FREE, we just have to really watch his intake and see what his triggers are)

We have found a whole new abundance of delicious foods in going gluten restricted. We all now prefer GF baked goods and items to wheat products.

bec94
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM
No food restrictions but this looks really good!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Intolerance for hot peppers and horseradish, allergy to watermelon. We just eliminate them from recipes.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I'm probably the worst in the family. I won't eat most meats. Which means I won't be cooking it either.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Yummy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twokids0407
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Citrus allergies here...can't do anything that has citrus in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bupkie
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Darn.... It would have to be nut-free, gf and Pork free too... (pork is a migraine trigger for me.)  

JasonsMom2007
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Well, we don't eat meat so this meal won't work for us!  LOL

We are also gluten free, sugar free, yeast free, free of most fruits...

elliem87
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM
My SO and SD both have PKU. They are missing an enzyme in their bodies that breaks down protein, if they eat too much it eats the white brain matter. We eat a lot of veggies!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)