Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipe with squash and zucchini

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:23 AM
  • 6 Replies

This is one of my desinated side dishes for Thanksgiving.

I want something yummy, but it can't have cheese. Anyone have any tried and true recipes?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Almost all my recipes have cheese in them except this and it's more a method than a recipe. Slice up zucchini & yellow squash. Slice and onion. Saute together in a large pan with a little oil, just till lightly cooked. For a Thanksgiving dish, you may need to do this twice. Then add a can of tomato sauce, sprinkle with Italian seasonings or just oregano and salt & pepper. Then cook about 10 minutes till the sauce is cooked down a bit. Delicious. This is the way my DH's aunt from Italy taught me. Of course we usually added Parmesan to the top when serving, but I've also had it without and it's good. 

Unoriginal.
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM

that sounds really yummy!

How many do you think I'd need to do for a side dish with about 20 people coming?

Quoting SweetLuci:

Almost all my recipes have cheese in them except this and it's more a method than a recipe. Slice up zucchini & yellow squash. Slice and onion. Saute together in a large pan with a little oil, just till lightly cooked. For a Thanksgiving dish, you may need to do this twice. Then add a can of tomato sauce, sprinkle with Italian seasonings or just oregano and salt & pepper. Then cook about 10 minutes till the sauce is cooked down a bit. Delicious. This is the way my DH's aunt from Italy taught me. Of course we usually added Parmesan to the top when serving, but I've also had it without and it's good. 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I usually figure 4 oz of vegetaables per person, or 1 lb for 4 people. So about 5 lbs total or 2 1/2 lbs of each. Maybe just a little more because most people love this.

Quoting Unoriginal.:

that sounds really yummy!

How many do you think I'd need to do for a side dish with about 20 people coming?

Quoting SweetLuci:

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I hope you find another dish you like....I hope to make green beans and mac and cheese for my sides.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I dont have any tried and true recipes...heres a bump! 

hippiechik3
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I love fried potato's an squash. I like them both breaded to. I put them in just about everything when I feel like it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)