Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Is this right.. about flour?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM
  • 23 Replies
You ladies are going to think I'm a blooming idiot, but here goes ....

When a recipe calls for flour, are they talking about all-purpose flour? I'm finding out there are so many different kinds of flour, that now I'm not so sure. If it calls for flour, salt, and baking powder, then I usually substitute self-rising and leave out the salt and baking powder. But if it only calls for flour, then I use all-purpose. Do I have this all wrong? Is there something besides all-purpose flour that I should be using when it simply calls for flour and is it ok to substitute self-rising when it also calls for salt and baking powder?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarita33
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Usually if there is a specific flour to use it will say, like bread flour etc. If it doesn't then all purpose. As far as subbing with self rising, that will work fine for most recipes BUT can change the texture. But usually not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I always just use all purpose unless it calls for something different

susie3g
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Thanks ladies! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimberly954
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:38 PM

i use all purpose for pretty much everything

periwinkle163
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I agree with everyone else, I use all-purpose unless the instructions specify something else. I had to use cake flour once and I was very surprised how many different types of flour exist.

samsbaby78
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM

i mostly use all purpose. i only use self rising if it calls for it, and i use bread flour for breads and cake flour for cakes. 

susie3g
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I was watching Good Eats last weekend and the guy was explaining all about the different types of flour. I had no idea either that there were so many and they each served their own purpose. I just thought for SURE I was using the wrong kind of flours ..lol.

Quoting periwinkle163:

I agree with everyone else, I use all-purpose unless the instructions specify something else. I had to use cake flour once and I was very surprised how many different types of flour exist.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Most of American standard cookbooks like Betty Crocker, Fannie Mae, Joy of Cooking, etc have an ingredient section or an introduction to the cookbook where it list basic information. It goes something like unless otherwise stated flour refers to all-purpose, pepper to ground black pepper, etc.

You will not find very much ingredient information in cookbooks that are generated from magazines & newspapers. (New York Times, Woman's Day, etc.)

A lot of cookbooks that are run-offs from celebrity chef cooking shows suck big time ... tons & tons of mistakes. Call it a chef endorsed - chef unread cookbook!  

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

There are lots of different flour, each with small differences that make them especially useful in specific recipes, so it's usually best to use the flour that's called for, and if it just says flour, it generally means all-purpose, but in general, what you are doing will work fine. Self-rising flour is a soft wheat flour, and is great for making biscuits, pancakes, scones, cake, muffins and many other traditional Southern favorites. Milled from a softer wheat than all-purpose flour, it’s lower in protein, meaning it produces softer, more tender baked goods. Since it’s lower protein and its absorption will be a bit less, you’ll want to cut back any liquid just a touch, if you're using it as a sub for all-purpose flour to achieve the desired dough or batter consistency.

randomosityblog
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Yep!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN