Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Sugar Crystals in Bulk

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hey guys,

I am making something (not cooking it this time) but it deals with food.  I need to find in bulk red and green sugar crystals for the reindeer food.  I can get everything else easily (oatmeal and sugar are cheap)....but the recipe calls for 1/4 cup red/green sugar crystals!!!  That's an entire shaker container and I'm not about to buy 24 of those at $2-3 a pop.  Any ideas where I can find them in bulk?

Or heck....make my own with that sugar (I don't have time to actually do the cool science experiment though).

Update: I'm all set.  Thanks to Michael's (never would have guessed LOL).  But we are all set :)

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-42-
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Make your own.

For a cup of sugar, you need about two drops of food coloring. Just put it in a jar, put the coloring in, and shake the shit out of it. Add more coloring if needed.

corrinacs
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM

That's what I was thinking but I didn't want the sugar to be too moist and stick together or worse.....cause a "problem".  It won't be too moist?

Quoting -42-:

Make your own.

For a cup of sugar, you need about two drops of food coloring. Just put it in a jar, put the coloring in, and shake the shit out of it. Add more coloring if needed.

-42-
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Shouldn't be. Just add the coloring little by little and make sure you shake it really well. 

You can actually use the paste food color as well....just mix it with a little water.

Quoting corrinacs:

That's what I was thinking but I didn't want the sugar to be too moist and stick together or worse.....cause a "problem".  It won't be too moist?

Quoting -42-:

Make your own.

corrinacs
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM

That's what I have is the paste kind and I know I'll have to add a hint of water.  Should I let it sit out for a little bit too to dry as well?  

Thansk for the tip.  That was going to be MUCH LESS Expensive.  I'll get the organic sugar that's more like crystals instead of the little granuals.

Quoting -42-:

Shouldn't be. Just add the coloring little by little and make sure you shake it really well. 

You can actually use the paste food color as well....just mix it with a little water.

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting -42-:

Make your own.

-42-
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:14 PM

As long as you get the ratio right, you shouldn't have to, but if it seems a little wet you could spread it out for a little while.

Quoting corrinacs:

That's what I have is the paste kind and I know I'll have to add a hint of water.  Should I let it sit out for a little bit too to dry as well?  

Thansk for the tip.  That was going to be MUCH LESS Expensive.  I'll get the organic sugar that's more like crystals instead of the little granuals.

Quoting -42-:

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting -42-:

Make your own.

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

If you write to the company (Cake Mates I think it is) they often will sell in bulk-atleast they did in the past. It was something they only did through contact-you might try-worst they can say is "no"

Kimberly954
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM

have you looked at Walmart? My walmart has a huge cake decorating section.

corrinacs
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I was able to find something at Micheal's.  I didn't even think to think about Walmart, but mine has a small cake decorating section :/.  

Quoting Kimberly954:

have you looked at Walmart? My walmart has a huge cake decorating section.

KamsOne
by Jen on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Will the reindeer food be eaten?  Or is it just to sprinkle on the ground for the reindeer?  I usually use glitter instead of colored sugar in ours.  But we don't eat it....we just sprinkle it outside for the reindeer.

corrinacs
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Its to be spread along the yard.  I was told not to use glitter because its harmfjul to the wildlife.  I can only imagine what that would do to a poor little anima's tummy :( :(.  So, we are using natural ingredients intead :)

Quoting KamsOne:

Will the reindeer food be eaten?  Or is it just to sprinkle on the ground for the reindeer?  I usually use glitter instead of colored sugar in ours.  But we don't eat it....we just sprinkle it outside for the reindeer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN