Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

spiral ham question

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:29 PM
  • 6 Replies
So I have this recipe for a crockpot ham (with pineapple tidbits & brown sugar). I bought the ham this past week because I wanted to be sure I got one. I know it would not stay good in the fridge til Christmas day so I put it in the freezer.

My question is- if I need it for Christmas Day should I thaw it before putting it in the crockpot (recipe says. 7-8 hours). And if I DO thaw it- when should I take it from freezer to fridge to thaw in fridge (as in how many days in advance)?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I would take it out 1-3 days in advance to thaw properly.  You can always ask your meat dept at the store as well.

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I usually put in fridge to thaw 2 days before cooking

OliviaW.
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I never thaw mine out. I just out it in the crockpot with a little water or juice and cook on high. 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Some spiral hams just need to be heated briefly, othrwise it will over cook. Check the directions on the wrapper. Ity will take about 2 days to thaw out in the refrigerator. Does your recipe say to use a spiral cut ham or just a ham. Big difference.

CampClan
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM
It says spiral

Quoting SweetLuci:

Some spiral hams just need to be heated briefly, othrwise it will over cook. Check the directions on the wrapper. Ity will take about 2 days to thaw out in the refrigerator. Does your recipe say to use a spiral cut ham or just a ham. Big difference.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by Mandy on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I would take it out 2-3 days, I don't really like to cook frozen meat though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)