Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Teriyaki Sauce Question

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:28 AM
  • 9 Replies
I am seeing all kinds of recipes for Teriyaki Chicken but they call for soy sayce.
Can I use teriyaki sauce instead?
Thanks Ladies :))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KamsOne
by Jen on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I googled this.  Hope it helps!

About Soy Sauce

Soy sauce is a fermented and aged condiment brewed from wheat, soybeans, water and salt, although some recipes omit the wheat. Soy sauce contains eight to 10 calories per tablespoon, 1 to 2 grams of carbohydrate, up to 1 gram of protein and 900 to 930 milligrams of sodium, depending on the brand.

About Teriyaki Sauce

Teriyaki sauce uses soy sauce as a base, with many other ingredients added, including ginger and other spices, wine, vinegar and a sweetener such as sugar, corn syrup or honey. Teriyaki sauce contains about 15 calories per tablespoon, 2 to 2.8 grams of carbohydrates, mostly in the form of sugar, 1 gram of protein and 610 to 690 milligrams of sodium.

Differences

Teriyaki sauce is thicker, sweeter and spicier than soy sauce, so it will impart a different flavor and texture to recipes if substituted for soy sauce. In addition, depending on the amount used in your recipe, the calorie count per serving may be significantly higher. However, if you need to limit the amount of sodium in your diet, teriyaki sauce has about 25 percent less sodium than soy sauce, depending on the brand.

Soy Sauce Replacement

Teriyaki sauce is not a good replacement for soy sauce unless you're preparing a recipe that includes ginger and sugar or honey, in which case teriyaki sauce may make an acceptable substitute. Otherwise, teriyaki sauce is too sweet and thick to replace soy sauce without affecting the taste of the recipe significantly. Instead, the AllRecipes website suggests replacing 1/2 cup of soy sauce with a mixture of 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon water.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/532612-can-you-substitute-teriyaki-sauce-for-soy-sauce/#ixzz2GM2thPRJ

madipayt
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Thank You!!
KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM
You could maybe do 1/2 and 1/2
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
madipayt
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM
It kinda tastes the same! LOL I thought it was sweeter but must have misunderstood our hibachi chef when he saidtgats the sweet sauce they used at the hibachi grill.
I added some brown sugar and it made it a lil sweeter. Thanks :)
periwinkle163
by Mandy on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I usually use teriyaki sauce for teriyaki chicken, I think it tastes good.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Not sure..

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM

here's an easy recipe using Teriyaki sauce

Teriyaki Chicken

2 lbs. boneless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 c. peanut oil
1/2 c. teriyaki sauce
2 lg. peppers, chopped
1 lg. onion, chopped
2 lg. tomatoes, seeded and diced
6 lg. mushrooms, sliced

Heat oil in wok. Add chicken and saute 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in teriyaki sauce; cover and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add peppers and onions, stir-fry 3 minutes more; add tomatoes and mushrooms. Cook about 1 minute or until done to taste.
SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I haven't tried either of these, but they sound good.

Hawaiian Chicken

2 (8 oz.) cans pineapple chunks in juice
1 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
4 (4 oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 tbsp. salad oil
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. teriyaki sauce
2 tsp. dried chopped chives
1/4 tsp. pepper
Fresh chives for garnish

About 20 minutes before serving:

1. Drain pineapple and chunks; reserving 1/4 cup juice.

2. On waxed paper, mix flour and salt; use to coat chicken breasts.

3. In 10 inch skillet over medium heat, in hot salad oil, cook chicken breasts until golden and tender, about 10 minutes, turning once. Remove chicken breasts to a warm platter.

4. Into drippings in skillet stir honey, teriyaki sauce, dried chives, pepper and the pineapple juice. Over high heat, heat to boiling; boil for 30 seconds. Add pineapple and heat through. Pour sauce over chicken; garnish with fresh chives.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Soy sauce is usually pretty salty and teriyaki is somewhat sweet. If it calls for soy sauce, does it also call for honey, brown sugar or something sweet like that? If so, you may want to use less of that sweet element if you sub the soy with teriyaki sauce.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)