Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Any calorie dense yummy recipes?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM
  • 20 Replies
Hello ladies. While most people struggle to lose weight, I struggle to GAIN weight. You would think that after 2 kids I would have kept on all that weight yea I wish. I actually weigh less than my pre-pregnancy weight from my first pregnancy. :( Most people I know talk about how they " hate" me because I didn't pack on any weight and lost what I did gain not that long after labor. Then, me on the other hand "hate" myself for being so skinny. I need yummy calorie dense recipes that will help me pack on weight please HELP!!! any and all comments welcomed. Thank you :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Did you get checked for over active thyroid?   Add heavy cream to nearly anything that requires dairy,  Cranberry juice has more calories than Orange juice.   Peanut butter and butter sandwich with a glass of juice before bed is what i did.  Smoothies made with whole milk yogurt and fruit is good.

Srvp20
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM
What is over active thyroid? And no haven't gone for any check ups of anything. I have thought of it though because I don't believe this is normal. I even tried the depo shot while stated by everyone I know hate the darn thing because it made them gain weight but me? Nothing!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Did you get checked for over active thyroid?   Add heavy cream to nearly anything that requires dairy,  Cranberry juice has more calories than Orange juice.   Peanut butter and butter sandwich with a glass of juice before bed is what i did.  Smoothies made with whole milk yogurt and fruit is good.

frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Over active thyroid excretes too much of a hormone that helps moderate weight amongst other things.  Under active thyroid does not excrete enough of this hormone and causes weight gain in a person.  

I was very underweight growing up and until dd was born.  Then 2 years later i went up in weight by 20-30 lbs suddenly. 

You may want to ask your doctor for full blood work up that includes hormone levels.

Quoting Srvp20:

What is over active thyroid? And no haven't gone for any check ups of anything. I have thought of it though because I don't believe this is normal. I even tried the depo shot while stated by everyone I know hate the darn thing because it made them gain weight but me? Nothing!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Srvp20
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Did you do anything to gain the weight?
KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Peanut butter, heavy cream, pastas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Get HEALTHY fats!! Dont overload on saturated fats like dairy products. You want to gain healthy fat and muscle....the bad fats could do damage to your heart and other vital organs. Add avocado to smoothies, scoop of peanut butter to oatmeals(a natural PB is best, not ones that have added sugars and salts) Nuts as a snack. Bananas are calorie dense.

Healthy oils in your foods, olive and canola are good choices. 

Granolas made with healthy oils are a good snack.

delanna6two
HAPPY FALL!!!
51 minutes ago
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:51 PM

hope everything works out for you...

KamsOne
by Jen on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I would check with your doctor.  Like another posted stated it might be your thyroid or another medical problem.  Your doctor could also refer you to a nutritionist who can help make sure you eat the right foods.

KamsOne
by Jen on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM

This is super yummy and loaded with calories.  lol.  I don't make it often because it is not that great for us but yum, yum, it's so good!

Baked Macaroni & Cheese

Ingredients
1 lb elbow macaroni
2 sticks butter
3-4 tbs flour
1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
3-1/2 cups 2% milk
 Salt & Pepper
1 pkg Townhouse crackers, crushed

Directions
1. Boil pasta as directed until al dente. Drain and place in casserole dish.
2. Melt one stick of butter in large pan. Add flour, salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to light boil.
3. Add Velveeta and milk. Stir constantly until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour over pasta.
4. Melt the other stick of butter in pan. Add crackers to the butter and stir until well blended. Sprinkle over pasta mixture.
5. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

Srvp20
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Oh yea I love avocado just never thought of putting it in smoothies lol

Quoting KaylaMillar:

Peanut butter, heavy cream, pastas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)